New to BYC from Fairhope, AL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GreenAcresLady, Feb 2, 2014.

1. GreenAcresLady

GreenAcresLady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Fairhope, AL
    After lurking for several months, it is time to join and admit to utilizing all of the phenomenal information that is shared by members of Backyard Chickens. I purchased a GreenChickenCoop (Briar model) tractor from a seller on Craig's List back about 6 months ago and was given 3 seven month old hens in October, 2013. I have a Rhode Island Red, an Americauna, and a Black Star. These ladies have been producing two-three eggs per day and have provided great entertainment and lots of new conversations. This is my first time to raise chickens and I am now hooked. A new larger coop and run will be built over the next few weeks. I am building an 8x12 building--the chickens will get 5x8 of it and the remaining 7x8 will be Chicken Food/Equipment storage and a potting shed area for me! We are attaching an 8'x16' covered chicken run. The three girls will be much happier with so much additional space and I can begin to think about adding a few more ladies to the group this spring.

Many thanks to all of the members who have shared so many "Do's & "Don'ts" about chicken coops and runs! As my husband has said-----these are becoming three very expensive hens! But the eggs taste great!

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

It sound's like you have been bitten by the chicken bug
    it only get's worse from here on out [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

My hubby says the same thing...."we could have purchased eggs a lot cheaper than getting chickens!" LOL But chickens are so much fun to have around and even though the eggs may cost more, they are much better for you health wise.

Enjoy your new babies!!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. Welcome to BYC from Southern California! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by