New to BYC, hello

gjpteachesu

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
Hi everyone,
My daughter and I don't have any chickens, but I did rescue a Jumbo Peking Duck a little over a year ago. She was abandoned with 4 other ducklings when someone moved out of a rental mobile home across the street. By the time I found out she was there, she was the only one still alive. She can't walk, because her legs are terribly bent. They used to go partially across her back, but are now almost under her. "Quackers" is her name and she loves everyone. Her best friend is my pomeranian mix, Chloe. Quackers loves swimming in her pool or the tub, playing in the grass, going for walks in her stroller with Chloe, singing, and visiting people, especially children. Quackers is learning to use a walker that I am still tweaking. She and all of the nonhuman family members keep me entertained, busy, and are great company. My daughter and I have one duck, one dog, 3 cats, 3 African Clawed Water Frogs, 3 guppies, and some water snails.

I am disabled, but love to garden, craft, crochet, bake, and upcycle (fix and sell) items that don't require technical or electric work. I homeschool my daughter who is special needs and is in her senior year.
I have been reading things off and on from BYC over the last year when I was looking for some information about ducks. I decided to join, because I have gotten some great information and like the site.

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_114250371.jpg
    IMG_20191007_114250371.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 7
I found her a year ago in June at about 8 weeks old. Her legs at that time were bent up at the knees and angled over her back. I've been slowly getting them under her, and she can now swim and crawl using her knees, wings, and bill.
Can you take a short clear video of her trying to use her legs?

Back
Top Bottom