New to BYC, hi all

MaineChick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Hi everyone,

My husband and I bought some land in Maine last winter, and have been working towards adding livestock. We are just finishing a shed, part of which will be given over to chickens. The woman we buy our eggs from has saved me a few Buff Orpingtons so I won't have to wait til spring and get chicks, I'll have laying hens right away. I can't wait til the coop is done! The chickens will be our first animals on the place that don't live in the house. I'm hoping to get some Speckled Sussex at some point, too.

We are new to keeping chickens and are grateful to have found this wealth of information.

In addition to the not-yet-arrived chickens, our family consists of us two 2-leggeds, a German Shepherd, a German Shepherd foster dog, and two (at the moment) indoor cats.

We look forward to any and all advice about keeping chickens in cold climates.

welcome-byc.gif
You will love this site full of information
wee.gif

Welcome-I've been raising chickens in Maine since a friend gave me chicks when my two boys graduated high school and left for college. Still had one home but she was afraid I'd suffer empty nest syndrome. Well, this year last child has left the nest and ten new chicks arrived in the spring along with three guinea fowl. Our summer project was to build a larger coop-finishing touches will happen in the spring but everyone has settled in for the winter. My daughter came home Thanksgiving and said the coop is larger than her dorm room. One of the boys wants to move back home if he can find a job. (he likes the fresh eggs) Good luck and enjoy the birds. If you plan on eating them don't name them. We have two old girls from the original batch, Gertrude and Sweetpea, they laid their last egg about four months ago but they are still with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom