New to BYC. ..Hi Help with Sexing Chicks and breed?.

Carlzz1479

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Surrey England
Hi everyone im in need of help..I have 13 chicks now 4 weeks old.. (im a very proud mummy) but im confused how to sex them..I also don't know what breeds they are as they are all a mixture , these are my first lot of chicks as I normally rescue battery hens..due to a red mite infection last year we re homed our hens so thought we'd start again this time with chicks..They were hatched in a school (for easter) and ive had them since 2 days old ..I absolutely love them to pieces and their just getting very cheeky but I really don't know what they are?..I have one which I'm sure is a roo he's black with feathers on legs beautiful looking and his comb is turning red then I have white ones and then brown speckled im new to this so please if I sound silly im used of housing Isa browns so my 13uplets as I call them are amazingly different to what I'm used of..il add a picture soo please im hoping for some feedback of advice and help thankyou for your time,

Carlzz1479 :)

Alright Carlzz1479,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

The best wat to take a photo of a chicken is to put them on a roost and
for the most part in the evening but anyway once on the roost you can
move around them
smile.png

See how I put them on a roost to take a Photo in the evening ..
D.gif

Enjoy your poultry ventures
highfive.gif

Hey thanks for the great welcome :) im gonna try with getting a better pic thanks for the advice...I absolutely love this site !! Soo pleased I joined I didn't realise how many more peeps love their chickens as much as I do and the advice and ideas on caring for them is amazing!! I'm absorbing like a sponge! ..

images

Welcome to BYC!

Cute chicks! However, they are awfully crowded in there. This crammed in can cause diseases to grow. So you might want to expand on their digs. At this age, they need about 1 square foot per bird for good physical and mental health.

As for sexing and breeds, I would take a pic of each one separately and post their pics in our What Breed and Gender section for good help with this...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy your new babies!! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hi twocrows. ..thankyou!

This was my other question their 4 weeks old and indoors (dining room) and I have a farmhouse enclosure for them to go into but don't want to put them out too soon..being in 4 gland weather is unpredictable being spring we are just lately having warmer days but nights still cold..when's the best time to start putting them out? We do have a concrete shed we're considering with heater but im so nervous that they will get cold and get ill?...I appreciate ur advice like u know this is new to me having babies im soo pleased they have all survived and doing remarkably well..thankyou for welcoming me into ur flock much appreciated :) :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on post in the What Gender/Breed forum for help with figuring out what your chicks are... and they do look like they have outgrown their brooder, are you able to put them in the coop with a heat source?

Hi Kelsie2290! !!

Got Hubby outside now getting the concrete shed ready with heater :) thanks for the advice will get those pics and post asap ..thanks again for the welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom