New to BYC probiotic and electrolyte question!?

kerynn

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2016
Boston MA
Hello my name is Kerynn. My family and I just got some new chicks. They are our first flock, the girls are road island reds, buff Orpingtons, and silver laced Wynettes. We were more than ready for them to come home and they ( fingers crossed are doing extremely well) for the second day here. My only question would be I am feeding chicks "purina chick medicated Blend" am I to also on top add in the probiotic and electolytes into the water? The one I bought was three packages to mix into a gallon. If I am to treat chick to this also , can I put water in refrigerator if I make the whole gallon to give per packet? I am sorry if this is stupid to ask I just don't want to over Medicate them, or under! Thank you!!

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest searching threads on the topic for further info.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

I don't believe probiotics are a "medication"...they are a type of good bacteria that assist with digestion. Electrolytes are salts and are used to prevent dehydration. Again, not a medication. The medicated chick feed is to help lessen the effects of coccidiosis.

You won't be over-medicating your chicks to give them all 3...probiotics, electrolytes and medicated chick feed.

Just my opinion anyway.

Howdy! When adding electrolytes to water, it is best to mix a fresh batch every day. I mix up what I'm going to use at that time. I don't refrigerate the water as you must give the chicks water that is room temperature. If you leave it out to allow to warm to room temp you will get 'bacteria bloom' as bacteria like all those electrolytes, too! It is very important for chicks to have fresh, clean food and water. And in hot and humid weather it is best to change out the water twice a day. Dirty, fecal contaminated water can cause all kinds of problems. I usually give electrolytes in water for a few days after arrival. After that, if all are doing well, I continue with fresh water. I continue feeding medicated feed for 16 weeks then switch slowly to layer feed. Fresh, clean water is one of the most important things needed to keep a flock healthy.

Congratulations on your flock!

Thank you so much!! I've been switching water three times a day as I notice it getting yucky. Thank you for the help!

Hello my name is Kerynn. My family and I just got some new chicks. They are our first flock, the girls are road island reds, buff Orpingtons, and silver laced Wynettes. We were more than ready for them to come home and they ( fingers crossed are doing extremely well) for the second day here. My only question would be I am feeding chicks "purina chick medicated Blend" am I to also on top add in the probiotic and electolytes into the water? The one I bought was three packages to mix into a gallon. If I am to treat chick to this also , can I put water in refrigerator if I make the whole gallon to give per packet? I am sorry if this is stupid to ask I just don't want to over Medicate them, or under! Thank you!!
Seeing that you've already gotten some amazing advice I will just say, Welcome to BYC! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom