New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thenalbachs, Jun 7, 2016.

1. thenalbachs

thenalbachs New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Ashland City, TN
    We are buying our first rural property (house with 4 acres) and excited to get some chickens in a couple months.

My family had some chickens when I was a kid, but I was raised to believe they were mean and to stay away. Watching how a friend's kids made pets out of their laying hens has given me a completely new perspective on chickens. I had no idea they could be so loveable. Now I want that same experience for my kids.

After reading up on family friendly breeds, I'd like to start with half a dozen Buff Orpingtons. This is going to be quite an adventure.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Best of luck with the move and the new venture! Orpingtons are really lovely birds, you'll enjoy them.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, your- kids are going to love the Buff orps, you too.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh you will love the Orpington breeds! Buff Orps are very friendly, docile, weather hardy in both heat and cold, they will follow you around like drooling puppies, they are great layers and tend not to have much laying issues as some of the other breeds. I like to get chicks from the brooder, even on day 1, out on the living room floor and because they see you as protection, they head right for your lap. If you want lap chickens this is how to train them. When they grow up, they will beg for you to sit with with...chickens will be all over you sitting where they can! LOL

Definitely follow the link to the learning center tha CTKen has left for you. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens.

Make yourself at home and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

6. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC! Buff Orpingtons really are sweethearts. My little sister keeps begging us to get a small flock of them as she had one for a pet when she was pretty young. Good luck!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by