New to byc

Thanks for joining the group. This is my first winter with my chickens and I put up plastic on the run to help block the wind and I'm hoping the coop will keep them warm enough but if not and I see them stressed I will put a heat lamp on only on the very very cold days. I live in Idaho and from all the people I talk with in this area they say the chickens can handle the cold just fine without heat.

We get really cold here -40 with windchill I guess it’s a try and see what happens kinda thing lol

We get really cold here -40 with windchill I guess it’s a try and see what happens kinda thing lol
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow
Not sure about the quail but with chickens, the windchill does not factor into the temperature as there should be no direct draft on the birds while they are in the coop.
Good ventilation is critical to keeping warm as it removes the excess moisture from the air.

Yes I hate winter also It will be -30 but with the wind feels like -40 I think regardless wind or not it’s still -40 and friken cold lol l all my animals have shelter from the wind and insulated buildings I’m just hoping I don’t have to heat the quails shed . I have never heated my chickens they do fine but the quail are so much smaller

GroupWelcome.gif

Have fun here! Check out the social threads

Back
Top Bottom