New to BYC

Dirtymax9812

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Hello fellow Chicken-ers :)

A little about my "flock". I have 5 ISA Brown Hens, 5 Black Sexlink Hens, and 5 Leghorn Hens. They are all just shy of 6 weeks old. My brother and I just finished their coop last weekend. The coop is an 8' wide x 5' deep x 4' tall on stilts, with access to the enclosed run in the bottom. The run is fenced in, and 16' wide x 5' tall x 3' tall. They, however, will not go outside yet.... is that normal?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to being on the forum! :)

-Dirtymax9812

Greetings from Kansas, DirtyMax, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! Give them a couple of days - they are just getting used to their new surroundings - they'll start exploring the run pretty soon. You can also put their food out there - they'll go to it then. Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
once one of them gets brave enough to go outside, the others will soon follow. You could also put them in the run for a short time so they can explore and then put them back inside.

When they see nothing bad happened they will be more interested in trying it out themselves..

I've went in the coop, made them ALL go outside for a few hours.
I pushed them all out, and closed the door behind them. They put up a fight going out, but once they were out there, they were just having a hay-day.
They were scratching around, jumping and flying at each other, and just playing, I think they enjoyed it. As soon as it starts getting dark, I open the door, and in a matter of a 1/2 hour, they are ALL back in the coop and roosting.

The issue is the next morning at 7, when I open the door to the run, they WILL NOT go out. They sit on the edge and look down, jump over the door, and walk along the outside of the door, but they will not go down.

I have 2 windows in the coop itself that I have fenced in so that they cant get out that I open every morning also, so that the air can circulate, and cool down the coop. I've envn tried keeping them closed all day, and just leaving the run door open, and they still stayed in the coop.

Maybe they're just not old enough yet to start venturing around, but that coop gets warm, and cramped when they are all down from the roots, and sprawled out in the sunlight from the wndows.

Maybe I'm just wanting them the progress faster than what they are... ?
hmm.png

Thanks!

-DirtyMax9812

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Seems like all babies take time to adjust to new surroundings and coming out of the coop after having been inside all their lives is a bit scary. They will come around soon.

Enjoy your new chicken adventures and welcome to BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Seems like all babies take time to adjust to new surroundings and coming out of the coop after having been inside all their lives is a bit scary. They will come around soon.

Enjoy your new chicken adventures and welcome to BYC!
X2

***UPDATE***

As of last night, I was sitting out watching my hens, when one BRAVE soul took the plunge, and jumped from the coop down into the run.
yesss.gif

Shortly thereafter, slowly but surely, one by one they began getting curious, and following each other down. (Too bad it was about 1 hour before sundown when they decided to come out).
Hopefully when I get home today, I find them ALL out and foraging! they're so fun to watch...
pop.gif

Thanks for all the hints guys!

-DirtyMax9812

Back
Top Bottom