New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greasy, Feb 16, 2014.

1. greasy

greasy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Worcester , ma
    Hello ! i'm new to BYC so i'm introducing myself. I'm Pete, "greasy" . I've been lurking here for a while and figured I should join. I'm new to chickens, 6 months. It's a good story.
    I finally decided to take the plunge and get some chickens, along with my wife's support, albeit , fair weather :). She has no interest in poop, going out in the bad weather to the coop, or dealing with dispatching a hen or Roo if need be. I got 11 chicks, not sexed, from a local farmer. Raised them, and at 5 months of age, there was lots of crowing and fighting going on, ugh ! 9 of my 11 chicks were Roos ! Needless to say, I now have a freezer full of Roos. The 2 that are left are RI reds, or maybe production reds, I'm not really sure. Either way, they give me 5-6 eggs a week now, without any artificial light, those ladies are awesome !! They are Lady Gaga and Bunny.
    In December, I bought 15 gold sex links, and they were shipped with 7 more Roos ! I really hate taking the Roos to the freezer, but I'm not even supposed to have chickens where I live. Luckily I happen to have a lot of land, bordered with woods and awesome neighbors.
    The sex links get along with the 2 mature hens great ! the ladies are showing the kids the ropes. it's really great to watch. Every time I get an egg, it's very exciting and I can't wait until the Gsl's start producing !
    I learned a ton here, way more than in the books. There's lots of practical, real life , tried and tested knowledge here and I thank you all for it !

Pete

1 person likes this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you have some lovely ladies :)

3. benjhm11

benjhm11 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2014
    Macon, Ga
    I just joined BYC not too long ago and there is a lot of good info on here..glad a joined! [​IMG]

4. greasy

Feb 16, 2014
    Worcester , ma
    Thanks for the welcome ! The 2 reds are awesome ! very friendly, they love being picked up and held. The others are coming around nicely. They surround me when I go in the run, and don't run when I pet them and pick then up, it's great. Having chickens has really been an enriching experience in my life. I can't imagine why I didn't do this sooner !

5. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] We also had to dispatch an accidental roo. Surprising that you had to order straight run for sex links when you only wanted pullets, sex links hatch out different colors for different genders.

6. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC!!

7. greasy

Feb 16, 2014
    Worcester , ma
    my first batch I just bought chics off of craigs list. My second batch I ordered from a hatchery. They sent 7 roos in the box with the 15 hens, for heat during shipping I guess.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It's sad that hatcheries place no value on the male chicks that they use as insulation, still better than tossing them into compacters at birth, I guess.

1 person likes this.
  9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

Alright Pete, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by