New to Chicken Community

We have not decided yet but my kiddos know the fate of roosters.
I'm having the same dilemma.
I allowed one of my broody hens to hatch eggs. I gave her 4 eggs. Three hatched. I think I have 2 cockerels. They are just under 5 weeks old and have been fighting with each other practically since they came out of the shells.
I abhor the commercial chicken industries and would love to raise my own meat. It's the getting them from a live chicken to meat that's the problem. I've never killed anything.
But at least these guys are semi-feral having been broody raised. I'm not attached at all.

Also, have you considered keeping the roosters?
When I had mine he helped keep the hens safe from predators, warning them of danger, and always being on alert.

Shortly after he died some got taken by coyotes...

They’re handy to have around!
Sorry about your rooster we have a huge list of predators living in the mountains in Montana so this is my next challenge of keeping my chickens safe.

I'm having the same dilemma.
I allowed one of my broody hens to hatch eggs. I gave her 4 eggs. Three hatched. I think I have 2 cockerels. They are just under 5 weeks old and have been fighting with each other practically since they came out of the shells.
I abhor the commercial chicken industries and would love to raise my own meat. It's the getting them from a live chicken to meat that's the problem. I've never killed anything.
But at least these guys are semi-feral having been broody raised. I'm not attached at all.
I agree the dilemma I am in is which rooster we want to keep cause we have hand raised and baby all of our chickens and have been attached to all. If i can find a home for them guys I will go that route but if not I would rather be the one to get the job humanly and quick

Here are my guys!
IMG_2529.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg
IMG_2541.jpg
IMG_2555.jpg
IMG_2556.jpg
IMG_2572.jpg

Back
Top Bottom