New to Chicken Community

Rwoodford

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
Western MT
Hello my name is Roberta and I am new to raising backyard chickens. We have a pretty large flock and started out with 21 straight run chicks. I have Salmon Favorelles, RIR, Buff Orpington and Americauna cross. We have had the chicks since the last week of June. We currently are looking at I think 7 cockerel which I am going to get rid of all but 2. We are very active family and so far have been successful keeping our chickens healthy and happy. My son who is a teenager and daughter who in elementary are very involved with the chickens and handle them daily. We plan on keeping our chickens coop with a run and free ranging only on the days that we are home. We currently live in the mountains and have a huge variety of predators in the air and on the ground. So far we have been very successful in not getting or putting or chickens in any danger. This adventure has been very exciting and also a lot of hard work.

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Also, have you considered keeping the roosters?
When I had mine he helped keep the hens safe from predators, warning them of danger, and always being on alert.

Shortly after he died some got taken by coyotes...

They’re handy to have around!
I do plan on keeping two of my roosters but got to get rid of the the other five. We started the hard way and bought straight run chickens. But I have had so much fun and all my little cockerel are super friendly and docile and eat out of my kiddos hands and are held and carried everywhere lol!

Back
Top Bottom