New to chickens - already built coop - tell me what's wrong (or right) - Florida

Very nice, is there anything to deter digging under the sides? Maybe adding some side panels to keep wind and rain out. Those could be hinged at the top to fold up when its hot, and they would provide some shade. Fold down in bad weather.
Oh man, fold down side panels. Never even occurred to me. Hmm. I think I will be adding a stone apron around the three open sides.

Y'all are great!

Ehhh....I'd start with the shavings. Observe and adjust.
If you find the rain comes in on same side consistently, might want to add a solid half or full wall there. Could also maybe extend roof.

Both of you....
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2372227
Excellent! Thanks!!

That looks like it'll be a great set up for your climate.

I wouldn't worry about the neighbor's noise... chickens get used to stuff like that pretty easily. Had the generator outside noisily cranking away for 4 hours today and the chickens were still perfectly fine with coming out for a little free range time.

Aart, do you have an explanation of why mesh would be better? I'm thinking it's not just cost or durability.
If you stack rocks or pavers around the coop/run, animal will likely start digging at outer edge of rocks/pavers and get underneath them.
With mesh, the animal will start digging at bottom of wall of coop/run and hit the mesh,
it won't back up and get under edge of mesh to go under(provided the edges of mesh are fairly stapled down or buried a it).

That looks like it'll be a great set up for your climate.

I wouldn't worry about the neighbor's noise... chickens get used to stuff like that pretty easily. Had the generator outside noisily cranking away for 4 hours today and the chickens were still perfectly fine with coming out for a little free range time.
Relief to know. Thank you kindly.

Howdy. I’m In north FL too. The coop is very nice.
Ditto on the rat snakes slithering in through the tiniest gaps. You say you will be putting the chicks out at several days old. They’ll need heat and freedom from drafts for a few weeks. Cooler nights are on their way.
We certainly have snakes around here. Husband said they would just be after the eggs. Then I read that some snakes will try to eat a bird even though they can't with the result being a dead undigested chicken when it realizes it. Not something I want to happen.

I have a couple of seedling mats coming that I plan to use to make a warming cave for the chicks in the double dog crate that's in the coop. Then I'll cover the sides of the crates to keep the drafts out. I have a backup clamp lamp with a heat emitter bulb as well. And there's power to the coop. Definitely nervous about putting them out there, so I'll likely lose some sleep on it. But between the mess chicks can make inside and our two murderous dogs, I think it might be best. I'll be prepared to switch back to inside if need be though. We have a second bathroom I could put them in.

Thanks for your insight.

I agree with the noise question, they are amazingly able to adapt to a lot more than you'd think. I had my new flock in a converted shed as I used a chainsaw to cut and trim rough cut timbers to build a run attached to the shed, and they would sit on the window ledges and along the screen door watching me running the saw just a few feet away. I felt guilty since I wear hearing protection for myself! I'm still in the process of building the metal roof over the run a little at a time on the weekends and when they hear me start up the saw I swear they run to the nearest edge of the run to watch. Not to mention the noise of my wife's music when she's out there helping ;)

Back
Top Bottom