New to Chickens and BYC!

Amberleighe

Chirping
9 Years
May 12, 2013
Bonaire, Georgia
My husband and I have just recently decided to start raising chickens. Well I decided the husband is going along with it, I think he may think I am bit crazy. I am so excited about this, it's a bit ridiculous! I have never been so excited about something! It's all I want to read about, & talk about. I even dreamed of chickens last night!
D.gif

We are just now in the research and planning phase. I already have someone ready to hatch me some babies as soon as I am ready! We are planning to have everything built and ready before we even consider getting the chicks.
big_smile.png

I wanted to ask for some advice, on placement of the coop. I want to put in the back corner of our fenced in yard (we have plenty of unfenced space I could use as well but thought the fence would be best for added security. But I am not sure if putting the coop too close to the fence would be a bad idea. I am considering this area near the corner between the 2 trees. I have dogs but they are inside dogs (the dogs and chickens would never be out in same space together, I don't trust them) I plan to have a fenced and covered run, but would like to allow them to come out of the run several times a day.

I found this beautiful coop on BYC and just fell in love with it. I would love to build something very similar to it. But with additional run space. Any advice for this brand new BYC'r?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome from another newbie based in Lancashire, NW England. There are loads of very experienced chicken people here so you will get all the sound advice you need. The spot you have picked looks lovely, although personally I would give them access to a little more sunshine (but that's just my opinion)

Back
Top Bottom