New to chickens, and having to mix my own feed

I was reading that most of the grains are deficient in methionine. It's why I included the buckwheat, because it has more than the other grains...but the sunflower seeds are higher in protien *and* have extra methionine. I could potentially even drop the buckwheat - it's the only grain that was significantly more expensive than the others (all the rest were between $20 and $30 for a 50 lb bag).

"Lower levels of lysine and threonine may cause some restrictions on some non-ruminant uses of sunflower meal. However, sunflower meal contains an excellent level of methionine which provides potential advantages for mixing with other meals."

from

http://www.sunflowernsa.com/wholeseed/sunflower-as-a-feed/

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/livestoc/as1224w.htm
Sunflower seeds are higher in methionine than peas, so including them is good!

I just can't help thinking that your chickens will be some of the best fed chickens in the world!
smile.png

I have to call them tomorrow and find out for sure if it's gluten free. I can't help but look at my whole grain mix, and thier crumbles, and think that the grains *have* to be better, though, if you really get down to it, and as long as I am providing enough variety and enough protein. It's really gorgeous, alive, *real* food.

Modesto milling - I have seen their website. Oh how I would love to live near them.

You can also use your whole grains/seeds to plant a crop of it.

I have to call them tomorrow and find out for sure if it's gluten free. I can't help but look at my whole grain mix, and thier crumbles, and think that the grains *have* to be better, though, if you really get down to it, and as long as I am providing enough variety and enough protein. It's really gorgeous, alive, *real* food.

Quote: Yes the organic chick starter that I buy from the feed store is ONLY corn, roasted soybean meal, and a lot of artificial vitamins/minerals!!!!

I have already started mixing in a few small seeds/grains for my babies (4 weeks old) to get them used to it.

A natural seed/grain mix is absolutely breathtaking when it is mixed up...looks very yummy even to me!

Back
Top Bottom