New to chickens and in Alaska starting today!

that must be it! as i have full food containers in their cage everyday. they are coffee cans i modified. and they are lookin fat! i guess i will cut them back to 1/2 cup feed a day, do the california giants get more then 1/2 cup?

ya i always put the doe in with buck. i leave them togeather one afternoon, then take them out.

since they are already fat cut them to 1/3 cup a day then feed them the 1/2 cup after they lose the weight. all rabbits only need 1/2 cup per day unless they are bred or have babies to feed then you keep feed in for them.
I use to raise the giants , I have a picture of one laying on a 4x8 pic-nik table stretched out from one end to the other

boy have they sure been eating like wildfire, and growing too! anyhow there little tote is getting way to small. and i need to start of a chicken coop soon! i think they are getting antsy in that cage, i put in a couple purches for them and it helps i think. the stink is getting pretty ripe too, ive been changing out the pine shavings once a week. i might have to start more often. i think most of it is the poop on the purches.

Hey Skip,

Welcome! May I suggest a little tip? Next time you go into walmart go into the aquarium section and they have what is called a critter bulb, it's purple. It is also only 75watts.....It does put off enough heat for indoor brooding and your electric bill won't eat your wallet :) I have used those for about 4 years now without any problems.

I haven't read the whole thread, maybe someone already suggested it. But Welcome anyhow! :)

Deb

How is it going for you? Where did you get the chicks since Triple D is closed. I'm in Wasilla and just got pullets from Butte.

i got 12 free from ROBINWASILLA on here, and purchased 3 from a lady in eagle river off the craigslist. ya i hear the butte chicken lady is great. might get some from her in the next year.

heck i think they are 7 and 10 weeks old now, they sure are looking like chickens, i will post up a pic, i got a coop and run built and last night was there first night without a heat lamp. the coop isnt finished yet, but its close enough for them to live in now. i just need to do some final insulating and finish the door.

try for the pics in the next few days. still cant tell whats a rooster and a hen.

Back
Top Bottom