New to chickens and trying to figure out genders!!! Help

Trosas

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
I have multiple chicks that are now 4 and 5 weeks old. All were sold to me as female (pullets). I think I was lied to as there are distinct differences in some already. I'm afraid I have a ton of roosters!
Picture chick #1 lavander red laced
20190904_200150.jpg
20190904_200135.jpg
waydette

#2 lavander red lace waydette
20190904_200251.jpg
20190904_200446.jpg

#3 lavander orpington
20190904_195740.jpg
##4 lavander orpington
20190904_195750.jpg
20190904_195909.jpg

#5 amerucana
20190904_200622.jpg

#6 Americana
20190904_200700.jpg
20190904_200650.jpg

#7 buff orphington
20190904_200814.jpg
20190904_200842.jpg

They are so cute! They look like hens but pretty young yet. I accidentally got 4 roosters when I first started. I should have know with the sparing that was going on but it was all new! Good luck they are beautiful!

1: appears to be a cockerel and not bred the best based on it's comb being incorrect type. Also it's "Wyandotte" and I'm not sure about lavender but it looks like a splash blue laced red to me

2: looks like blue laced red Wyandotte. Possible cockerel but not sure. Kind of early to tell.

3: possible cockerel

4: comb looks like pullet, legs look like cockerel. Too early.

5: Pullet so far and an Easter Egger

6: Easter Egger cockerel

7: too early. Pullet so far

Oh geez so they have lied on their signs. That's a lot of males for their to only be females in the bins, I'll wait it out and see how it goes. I was sure only one wyandotte was a hen. They are so beautiful. I didnt suspect the Easter egger to be a cockerel which were sold as amerucana to me. The two lavander orpington I see two differences in legs one smaller then the other so hopefully I get one hen there. As these are for the eggs, i dont need a bunch of boys in my tiny flock.

They are so cute! They look like hens but pretty young yet. I accidentally got 4 roosters when I first started. I should have know with the sparing that was going on but it was all new! Good luck they are beautiful!
What does sparing look like?

Oh geez so they have lied on their signs. That's a lot of males for their to only be females in the bins, I'll wait it out and see how it goes. I was sure only one wyandotte was a hen. They are so beautiful. I didnt suspect the Easter egger to be a cockerel which were sold as amerucana to me. The two lavander orpington I see two differences in legs one smaller then the other so hopefully I get one hen there. As these are for the eggs, i dont need a bunch of boys in my tiny flock.
Welcome to chickening and welcome to BYC lol

Hatcheries have 90% guarantees so the store you bought them from is the same. It's quite possible there could have been some males in the bins marked females. They really have no way to tell if the chicks the hatcheries send them are actually all females.

Back
Top Bottom