New to chickens... but determined.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mehpenn, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    Hi there! I've been browsing the forum and have learned some interesting things already. But I figure it's time I start asking questions, so I can learn more detailed info from you guys.

My grandfather had chickens when I was a child. DH's grandfather has chickens.

Neither myself nor DH have ever had a fresh egg. Seriously.

So, in an attempt to become more self sufficient, we've decided to get a couple hens and give it a try, just for fresh eggs. We eat a lot of eggs, my family of four goes through at least half a dozen a day between breakfast and components of various meals.

We currently do not have any chickens. But hopefully will within a couple of months.

DH and I have sit back and thought about what our grandfathers had in way of coops and flocks and what we could remember of the care they provided for their chickens.... my memory is limited as it's been a long time ago and Paw's chickens were mean so I didn't really go near them. DH's Granddad lives two states away so his interactions with the chickens was limited.

So, I'll be lurking around and posting to see what you guys can tell us and share with us and that sort of thing.

2. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG] from NC! In the planning process myself - you have found the place to come for a million awesome ideas!

Good luck!

Lisa

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] from N Calif! youre in the right place to learn! Have fun chickening [​IMG]

4. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    I'm from NC too! Located about 30 mins south of Charlotte, just before the SC line.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] from Lutz,FL! [​IMG]

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. You are going to love fresh eggs. I would get at least six, if I were you. Just be aware chicken math tends to take over. [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by