New to chickens; excited, unsure, & open to all y'alls knowledge!

FireWife443

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
If you couldn't tell, I am in the south. Georgia to be exact. Mother of two beautiful girls. Madison, who is the precious blessing from God to our family, and Jennifer, who is our peace of mind. Madison was diagnosed with Down Syndrome, and is the true reason for our venture into chickens. She loves them and will share in the responsibilities. Jennifer, we adopted just last year. She is an adult with 2 small children, who we have known all her life. She is Madison's best friend. She spends time with Madison like she is her girlfriend. The 2 grandkids are something we never thought we ever experience, and everyone lives with us on our little piece of heaven in northeast Georgia.

We have started with 4 chicks (3 Buffs, 1 RIR). Excited for any advice on best breed for kids, and those that can easily become pets, but also are good egg layers. We are newbies and if are successful with 4, hope to expand in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    460.6 KB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I see no reason why you shouldn't be successful :)

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Welcome! Your life sounds as amazing and wonderful as mine is! I have one granddaughter with mild autism and her little sister Kendra was born with Spina Bifida and a more severe type of autism. Chickens made such a difference in their lives, but sometimes kids loving chickens and kids helping raise chickens are two different things, especially our very special kids. This photo is our sweet granddaughter Kendra with a friend of hers...a Silkie rooster named Smudge.
FullSizeRender 14.jpg

When you get a little time, I hope this article might be helpful for you and Madison!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kids-with-disabilities-can-enjoy-chickens-too

Welcome! Your life sounds as amazing and wonderful as mine is! I have one granddaughter with mild autism and her little sister Kendra was born with Spina Bifida and a more severe type of autism. Chickens made such a difference in their lives, but sometimes kids loving chickens and kids helping raise chickens are two different things, especially our very special kids. This photo is our sweet granddaughter Kendra with a friend of hers...a Silkie rooster named Smudge.View attachment 1290688

When you get a little time, I hope this article might be helpful for you and Madison!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kids-with-disabilities-can-enjoy-chickens-too
Thank you! Your Granddaughter looks beautiful,as well as that amazing chicken! We are excited about our newest family members, and hope to do well by and for them. Thank you for all your advice!

Hope you have a blessed day!

@Blooie, so glad you chimed in here!

@FireWife443 , welcome. I hope you share your adventures with chickens and your special blessed family. Be sure to check out your state thread. there are also gardening threads, and a Prayer Warrior's thread.
Thank you so much! I will be sure to check out the threads! Who knew chicken folks were so darn nice!!!! You guys are awesome!! Looking forward to making friends and learning lots with you guys!!

Back
Top Bottom