1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New To Chickens...I Know Theyre Purebred, But What?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GhostChicken, Apr 23, 2008.

1. GhostChicken

GhostChicken New Egg

Apr 23, 2008
    I posted a message in the feeding section explaining more about this situation:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48460

Anyway, I picked these guys up at a feed store from their spring supply. They had 6-8 different breeds and the feed store told me that they were all hens but I'm not sure I buy that because how could they tell at 1-2 weeks of age when I bought them? They also could not tell me what breeds they were so I just picked two at random. Here they are at 6 weeks of age and I am hoping someone with more experience can tell me what breed they are/might be. My plan is to give them to a farm once they have fully grown and I would like to be able to provide as much info as possible on the chickens when it comes time to give them away. I realize that at this age, you might not be able to tell me much, but any info you can give me would be much appreciated and if you need any additional pics or close-ups of certain areas, please let me know, that'd be no problem. Thanks in advance for helping out a chicken newbie! Here are their pics. The first two pics are of the first chicken and the second two of the second chicken. They're little cuties! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Jackie

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    u got hens!!!!

3. kevin2010

kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    1st barred rock or domonique couldnt tell not close enough pic dont know last good luck

4. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    Look just like my barred rocks and Welsummers.

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    The feed store orders their chicks from a hatchery. The hatchery sexes the birds before they are sent out. I bet you have enjoyed raising them. [​IMG]

6. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    All pullets. 1st two look like barred rocks. Don't know the other two. The hatcheries sex them as day olds.

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I agree, they look like my barred rocks and welsummers

Here's a pic with 2 BR and 2 welsummers...also a SLW and one BA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by