NEW TO CHICKENS. I NEED HELP.

You can always write the date on them and store them in an egg carton on the counter.  Once you have a dozen, start eating the oldest and replacing them with the newest.  Then when your hen goes broody (if she does, some never go broody) you will have a dozen eggs available and you can put the freshest underneath her.

That is a good idea. I might try that. But are the eggs still good to eat after sitting out for 12 or more days?

That is a good idea. I might try that. But are the eggs still good to eat after sitting out for 12 or more days?
Yes, if you don't wash them and your storage place is fairly cool. The natural bloom protects them from spoiling.
If you are thinking of setting 8, you could only keep 8 out at a time.

I know nothing about RIR, not sure if they are known to go broody or not.

I guess that's what I needed to know. I didn't know how long they stay broody when they do get there. Will they be broody long enough to lay about 8 eggs and stay the whole time needed?
Oh, yeah, if the chicken is truely broody, she'll give you time. You can always buy the fake eggs to put in the nest if you are worried too.

Like Friday said, if they aren't washed and sitting in warm temps, they last longer. I believe we are one of the only places that actually refridgerate our eggs.

I have Rhode Island Reds. Do they go Broody often?

Yes, if you don't wash them and your storage place is fairly cool. The natural bloom protects them from spoiling.
If you are thinking of setting 8, you could only keep 8 out at a time.

I know nothing about RIR, not sure if they are known to go broody or not.
RIRs are a breed popular for egg production so the breed as a whole has been bred to NOT be broody. It doesn't mean that they can't be, just that the chances are less for them to be.

Hi ! I am a new chicken owner so pleaseee don't judge in the question I'm about to ask :(
I recently bought a hen who was the dominant hen in her flock at her previous home. When I was at her previous Home the rooster did his thang (I think) and after deciding I wanted her we took her home. She hasn't begun laying here yet due to relocation stress I'm sure, but when she DOES lay that first egg is there a possibility it could be fertile due to the mating before we left? Or it doesn't work that way lol sorry for the dumb question

Hi ! I am a new chicken owner so pleaseee don't judge in the question I'm about to ask
sad.png

I recently bought a hen who was the dominant hen in her flock at her previous home. When I was at her previous Home the rooster did his thang (I think) and after deciding I wanted her we took her home. She hasn't begun laying here yet due to relocation stress I'm sure, but when she DOES lay that first egg is there a possibility it could be fertile due to the mating before we left? Or it doesn't work that way lol sorry for the dumb question
I'm not gonna judge you!
I don't think it works like that, as chickens need to lay an egg within 1-2 days before the eggs aren't fertile anymore.

Hi ! I am a new chicken owner so pleaseee don't judge in the question I'm about to ask :(
Actually, hens can store sperm and have fertile eggs for 3 weeks or longer. Crack a few open and look for the bullseye, then go ahead and incubate if you want!

Back
Top Bottom