New to chickens in AZ

Pics

Lpsouth1978

Chirping
Oct 12, 2022
Queen Creek, AZ
Hello everyone! As the title says, I am new to keeping chickens and am excited to be on this new journey, We decided it was finally time to get some chickens and start enjoying the fresh eggs they provide. Last weekend we started our journey by purchasing many of the materials needed to build the coop and run, and got 12 chicks at a local feed store. The plan was to build an inexpensive (relatively) coop and run and the first trip to the hardware store reflected that @ about $400.

20221007_171936.jpg

We are not carpenters, and don't have a lot of skills in this realm, so please bear with me and don't judge too harshly. :) We decided we would build a raised 4'x8' coop with an 8'x16' attached run. With the plan set and materials on hand, we began to construct the new coop. As we worked, the plans continually changed, extra bracing was added, new designs were implemented, and before we knew it, we were headed back to the hardware store for more wood and supplies. By the end of our second trip, the build cost was @ about $1200 total. This is what we had completed by the end of the day.

20221014_124601.jpg
20221014_124608.jpg
20221014_124615.jpg

It is at this point that we learned that we has some flaws with our coop design and that it was not large enough for our 12 chickens. Now we needed to figure out how we could use what we had built and make it work. In the end we decided to go with an open air coop and not put a wall on the front of the coop. The 3 vertical boards will likely be removed from the front wall once we have attached the siding on top, to allow for a completely open front wall. This design should allow the space we have to support the chickens and help keep them cooler during HOT summers, by allowing maximum air flow. We are also considering adding solar powered fans on the sides of the coop and a misting system around the perimeter of the run before the temperatures rise again next summer.

After work today we were able to work some more on the build and got the door on the coop, installed the floor in the nesting boxes, got the siding on the sides (mostly), and got the structure for the run built and in place. We were only able to work for a few hours, so did not get as much done as we would have liked, but hope to finish the build tomorrow. Here are some pics of the progress we made today.

20221014_141148.jpg
20221014_141143.jpg
20221014_141210.jpg
20221014_165614.jpg

After calling it quits this evening, we decided to make another run to the hardware store to get a few more things to complete the build, like shingles, an additional sheet of plywood for the roof, paint and painting supplies, hinges for the nesting box door, etc. We are hopeful that we have everything needed now to complete the build, but I would not be surprised if we have to make another trip to the hardware store before we finish. At this point we have spent ~$1800 on our "budget" chicken coop and run. What a bargain!! :D

The first order of business tomorrow will be to build and shingle the roof. Once the roof is on we will finish applying the siding to the nesting boxes and upper portions of the coop, frame out and build the door for the run, and finally attach hardware cloth to the entire run. After we complete those tasks we will caulk and seal everything, paint the coop, install the nesting box dividers and roosting bars, and finally, prepare to move the chicks into their new digs.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Good job and excellent choice building instead of buying a prefab.
You need lots of ventilation in the coop. One of the best places to put it is between the rafters with complimentary ridge and/or gable end vents. You want to try to get as close to 1 sq ft of permanently open ventilation per bird as you can.

Ah, you have quickly been plunged into my reality of chicken keeping -- one trip to the hardware store is rarely enough, everything will cost much more than expected, and original building plans are made to be altered. Others may have a different path, but I am totally on the same one as you!

The good news is that once you've made that initial over-budget investment, upcoming costs will be much less. At least, that's what I always tell myself. Unfortunately, I keep adding more birds, more coops and more runs. I never learn.

Although you say you aren't carpenters, I think you've done a great job. And, how fortunate that you discovered you needed to expand the structure BEFORE it was finished!

I enjoyed seeing your journey so far and hope you will post more as the project continues and those babies grow up.

Welcome to BYC!

Hello everyone! As the title says, I am new to keeping chickens and am excited to be on this new journey, We decided it was finally time to get some chickens and start enjoying the fresh eggs they provide. Last weekend we started our journey by purchasing many of the materials needed to build the coop and run, and got 12 chicks at a local feed store. The plan was to build an inexpensive (relatively) coop and run and the first trip to the hardware store reflected that @ about $400.

View attachment 3291818

We are not carpenters, and don't have a lot of skills in this realm, so please bear with me and don't judge too harshly. :) We decided we would build a raised 4'x8' coop with an 8'x16' attached run. With the plan set and materials on hand, we began to construct the new coop. As we worked, the plans continually changed, extra bracing was added, new designs were implemented, and before we knew it, we were headed back to the hardware store for more wood and supplies. By the end of our second trip, the build cost was @ about $1200 total. This is what we had completed by the end of the day.

View attachment 3291819View attachment 3291820View attachment 3291821

It is at this point that we learned that we has some flaws with our coop design and that it was not large enough for our 12 chickens. Now we needed to figure out how we could use what we had built and make it work. In the end we decided to go with an open air coop and not put a wall on the front of the coop. The 3 vertical boards will likely be removed from the front wall once we have attached the siding on top, to allow for a completely open front wall. This design should allow the space we have to support the chickens and help keep them cooler during HOT summers, by allowing maximum air flow. We are also considering adding solar powered fans on the sides of the coop and a misting system around the perimeter of the run before the temperatures rise again next summer.

After work today we were able to work some more on the build and got the door on the coop, installed the floor in the nesting boxes, got the siding on the sides (mostly), and got the structure for the run built and in place. We were only able to work for a few hours, so did not get as much done as we would have liked, but hope to finish the build tomorrow. Here are some pics of the progress we made today.

View attachment 3291824View attachment 3291823View attachment 3291825View attachment 3291826

After calling it quits this evening, we decided to make another run to the hardware store to get a few more things to complete the build, like shingles, an additional sheet of plywood for the roof, paint and painting supplies, hinges for the nesting box door, etc. We are hopeful that we have everything needed now to complete the build, but I would not be surprised if we have to make another trip to the hardware store before we finish. At this point we have spent ~$1800 on our "budget" chicken coop and run. What a bargain!! :D

The first order of business tomorrow will be to build and shingle the roof. Once the roof is on we will finish applying the siding to the nesting boxes and upper portions of the coop, frame out and build the door for the run, and finally attach hardware cloth to the entire run. After we complete those tasks we will caulk and seal everything, paint the coop, install the nesting box dividers and roosting bars, and finally, prepare to move the chicks into their new digs.

Back
Top Bottom