New to chickens in AZ

You can brood them outside as long as you have a place that is draft free and you can keep them heated to upper 70s day and night for now, lower the heat by 5 degrees until fully feathered or 5 weeks or so.

I agree with @TwoCrows All they need is a draft free coop. What are the temps in Arizona right now?
Thank you both. My concern is with temps being too high during the day. Temps are currently 95-100+ during the day and don't go below 65 at night. I can always put the brooder plate out with them or place a heat lamp, but will they be ok with 100+ temps at this point?

Thank you both. My concern is with temps being too high during the day. Temps are currently 95-100+ during the day and don't go below 65 at night. I can always put the brooder plate out with them or place a heat lamp, but will they be ok with 100+ temps at this point?
Just as they have difficulty heating themselves, they also have difficulty cooling themselves at this age. 100 would be the max and that's probably too much. Can you cool them somehow to temps in the 90s? As they age they will learn how to adjust their internal thermostats, but for now they can't.

Just as they have difficulty heating themselves, they also have difficulty cooling themselves at this age. 100 would be the max and that's probably too much. Can you cool them somehow to temps in the 90s? As they age they will learn how to adjust their internal thermostats, but for now they can't.
This is my concern, and the reason they are taking up my entire family room. We have the coop/run well shaded, no direct sun gets into the coop, there is a misting system that turns on several times a day to help cool the area, but I'm still not sure it would be cool enough for them at the peak of the heat.

So, will I likely need to wait until they are 5+ weeks to move them outside?

This is my concern, and the reason they are taking up my entire family room. We have the coop/run well shaded, no direct sun gets into the coop, there is a misting system that turns on several times a day to help cool the area, but I'm still not sure it would be cool enough for them at the peak of the heat.

So, will I likely need to wait until they are 5+ weeks to move them outside?
Do you have a spare swamp cooler you set up outside for them, just to keep temps below 100 for a while? I just don’t think babies under a few months old can tolerate 100 degrees. You might stop by your state thread of Arizona and do some chatting with your neighbors as they will have more insight on your heat... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona-chickens.31227/

Do you have a spare swamp cooler you set up outside for them, just to keep temps below 100 for a while? I just don’t think babies under a few months old can tolerate 100 degrees. You might stop by your state thread of Arizona and do some chatting with your neighbors as they will have more insight on your heat... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona-chickens.31227/
Thanks for the help. I will check in the Arizona thread. I don't have a swamp cooler, plus the coop is open air, so it would be nearly impossible to keep any cool air in it.

Update -

After posting in the Arizona thread, we went ahead and moved the chicks outside Sunday afternoon. Of course, this meant that Monday would then be the hottest day of the year so far @ 107 degrees. All of the chicks did well and none have been lost or seem to be struggling, too much, in the heat so far. Temps will only be in the 90's the rest of this week, so hopefully that will help prepare them for the scorchers in the coming months.

The Chicks are doing great outside and seem to be handling the heat well so far. We have only lost one chick, and that was after being caught by one of the dogs. The chick found a hole in or run and escaped. The dog found her and wanted to play. He ended up braking her hip, so we put her down.

On the other hand, we did lose one of our older girls on the 4th, and two others don't seem to be handling the heat very well. All of the struggling pullets are Production Reds, so I think they are not very heat hardy. Hopefully they make it through alright. We already have the giant shade cloth over the entire side yard, open air coops, and a misting system. We have doubled the misting and give them watermelon a couple times a week. We also added more watering stations (beyond the auto watering systems we already had).

The Chicks are doing great outside and seem to be handling the heat well so far. We have only lost one chick, and that was after being caught by one of the dogs. The chick found a hole in or run and escaped. The dog found her and wanted to play. He ended up braking her hip, so we put her down.

On the other hand, we did lose one of our older girls on the 4th, and two others don't seem to be handling the heat very well. All of the struggling pullets are Production Reds, so I think they are not very heat hardy. Hopefully they make it through alright. We already have the giant shade cloth over the entire side yard, open air coops, and a misting system. We have doubled the misting and give them watermelon a couple times a week. We also added more watering stations (beyond the auto watering systems we already had).
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom