New to Chickens in Michigan

bigmrg74

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Clinton Michigan
Hello everybody. I'm new to chickens pretty much, we had some years ago when I was little, but I'm not so little now. Anyways, I really want to get into doing some chickens this year so I can have me some fresh eggs on hand all the time. What I'm thinking is getting about 3 or 4 birds and setting them up in a chicken tractor for most of the day, with perhaps a more solid coop to shut em up in. That just depends on me being able to move an old shed in one piece without breaking it. Easier said than done right now as its currently frozen and half drifted in by a snow drift that's slowly becoming a glacier here in Michigan.

What I'm still not sure is what breed I want to get. I want to get something that's going to tolerate life here in SE Michigan well and lay brown eggs. something heritage would be cool to get as well. Just wanted to see what you guys would suggest.

welcome-byc.gif
if you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social section you can locate and post on your state thread. You can get advice from people who actually live in your area and learn from their experience. Also some may be selling the breeds you are interested in obtaining.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you want a cold hardy bird that will lay brown eggs, I recommend Wyandottes. They come in many beautiful varieties and are good layers.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! I would recommend Wyandottes; they are cold-hardy, beautiful birds that are excellent layers of brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom