New to Chickens, New to Coops

GoldenHickory

Hatching
6 Years
May 18, 2013
hello just went to local feed store and bought buff orpingtons as my first breed after hearing all the lovely stories people have with them. But now I need a coop for these little guys. What materials do I use, how big should it be for my 12 cuddly chicken, what all should be in the coop. Any info helps!

Last edited:
Im fairly new to the ins n outs of ckn.houseings,but have found these work great n very cheap.we buy theoutside dog kennels that have 4 panels size complete 10x10x6.we have taken 2 of the 10x10x6 kennels put together into 1 huge pen,cover bottom inside sides with mesh wire,then put over the entire top of kennel chicken wire.then for the coop inside we buy used

Sorry hit submit button by mistake...lol
So for inside coop we buy used rabbit hutches n make adjustments as needed...ie:boarding up a side to make a nest area making a ladder for acess in n out of coop,making sure a door acess for egg collecting,if it doesnt have a metal or shingled roof we put a tin roof on it with a slight overhang.we have also made coops out of wooded dog houses to .
Works great for us n total we have spent on one coop/pen area is no more than $150.we also take chainlink poles and put in corners of pen for roost.
I am extremely frugile but my chickens,turkeys and peacocks r happy n safe from all now.

I'm going to be honest, I have a budget on the coop at about 5000. I am a small gardener and saved enough to start a farm.

Good luck ,maybe more experienced handy people can give u better advice,ive seen very talented people n their coops/tractors that continue to amaze me on here

Well thanks for that info is treated lumber safe? If not what's safe and bug free. Any help is good!

I'm going to be honest, I have a budget on the coop at about 5000. I am a small gardener and saved enough to start a farm.

Oh my! For 5k I could build a chickie palace. I say dont spend 5k on the coop. Save some for investing in good breeder stock. You need at least 4 sq ft for each bird inside the coop and 10 sg ft for each bird in the run. Since you are starting a farm andd have extra money. Go big so that you can increase your flock if you want to.

I am breeding and getting eggs. So I need 12 of each breed I want. And a rooster so I need one ideal for 13 hens.

Well making money a concern then and to make as many as possible would making them free range in the day a good idea can I make cages smaller? Should I keep a hand full in so I am garenteed some income?

Last edited:
I would think with a 'plan' like that, you would have already done some serious research on facilities before buying a dozen breeders.

Start reading about breeding pens. (link to advanced search, titles only)

Better do some reading on predators too, to protect your investment.

Back
Top Bottom