New to Chickens... So much to learn

starilynne

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Ohio
Hello! I've been looking over this website for the past couple days and loved looking at it so much I knew I had to join. I've been wanting to get chickens for quite awhile but my husband wasn't so keen on the idea. This past weekend we went to our local Tractor Supply for some other things and they had chicks on sale. He decided all on his own that we would be bringing some home with us and I have 6 new white leghorn chicks. Would have liked to have some variety but once he agreed to get them I took what was available. I had already done a bit of research into raising chicks themselves so I feel pretty confident Im doing just fine with them. What I hadn't researched as much yet was coops. We want to start building one in the next week so I've been doing a whirlwind of research trying to find what will be the best to build. Maybe you could share the best tip you found on coop building? I also greatly enjoy my garden and am very interested in how chicken waste works as fertilizer? I look forward to talking with folks here! And thank every one who has shared ideas making this such a wonderful website!!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the new babies! The thing I can tell you from experience with coop building is build it bigger than you think you need. Not only will you eventually want more birds, but your birds will not only appreciate more room but will need more room over time. Another thing with coops is, incorporate lots of venting in the eaves or ceiling. Frost bite happens when you don't have good ventilation. About 1 square foot per bird if you can. All the pooping and breathing lets out a lot of moisture that has to go somewhere and if it can't go up and out the roof, it will fall back down on your birds as frost or water making them cold.

Stop by our coops pages for some ideas on coops. Some of these even have plans to work from...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

I don't do the composting thing, so maybe someone else will chime in here and help you out with this. :)

Enjoy your new adventures and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Thank you so much! That is a very helpful tip I had read adequate venting was important but not what was adequate!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new chicks! TwoCrows gave you a great link to get you started on your coop build! You might want to check out your state thread for any tips your neighbors have so far as dealing with your weather etc in coop building https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Here is a nice thread on what people learned/ wish they had changed while building their coops https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/140561/things-youve-learned-while-building-your-coop

Welcome to BYC! x2 on the build it bigger than you need advice lol. I have a huge coop and run and just had to buy 2 extra coops for my Seramas :) regarding chicken manure it definately needs to be composted before using it in the garden, I haven't ever tried it even though I have plenty. Good luck to you.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock. Check out the BYC coops tab.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom