New to chickens with LOTS of questions

kmstrauss

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
Hello,

I am new to chickens, and I already did an introduction but couldn't find where to ask questions in the forum🤪. I have wanted chickens for years just never had the time. I am a mom of 10 children so they have been my chicks :lol:🤣. A friend of mine gave us 22 eggs and lent us their incubator. It has been so fun. I found a YouTuber that shared she put a heating pad under it and had great success with hatched eggs so I tried that. We hatch 17 chicks for my first time ever and one was attempting to pip but I think when I was removing all the chicks that had been in the incubator for 2 days and were needed to be moved to the brooder, that egg dried out and the baby died and didn't continue. I am totally knew so I really wasn't sure what to do... I did help another one that seem to be shrink wrapped, and that little one is still drying, but my question for now is what should I do for this new cracked egg? Should I candle it to see if there is life? If there is, my new concern is that the incubator is stinky now and although the humidity says its high it looks pretty dry in there. Should I mist the eggs with warm water?

Great to be here btw!!!

Hello,

I am new to chickens, and I already did an introduction but couldn't find where to ask questions in the forum🤪. I have wanted chickens for years just never had the time. I am a mom of 10 children so they have been my chicks :lol:🤣. A friend of mine gave us 22 eggs and lent us their incubator. It has been so fun. I found a YouTuber that shared she put a heating pad under it and had great success with hatched eggs so I tried that. We hatch 17 chicks for my first time ever and one was attempting to pip but I think when I was removing all the chicks that had been in the incubator for 2 days and were needed to be moved to the brooder, that egg dried out and the baby died and didn't continue. I am totally knew so I really wasn't sure what to do... I did help another one that seem to be shrink wrapped, and that little one is still drying, but my question for now is what should I do for this new cracked egg? Should I candle it to see if there is life? If there is, my new concern is that the incubator is stinky now and although the humidity says its high it looks pretty dry in there. Should I mist the eggs with warm water?

Great to be here btw!!!
I found my original message and my replies, thank you everyone for making me feel so at home!!!! I think I know how to read responses and ask questions like I'm doing here!

across the top of every page is a tan and brown banner there is a box that says FORUMS you can click on the box and it takes you to a page with a list of all the different forums :) my favorite forums are DUCKS , GEESE, and NEW MEMBER INTROS :ya
:thumbsup good providence with your baby birdies

Back
Top Bottom