New to Chickens working on a coop design ...please give advise...

Honestly I like the first design better than the second -- if roofing costs are an issue, look for recycled stuff for the run portion (where it won't matter if it leaks a bit) and/or plan on buying the run roofing later on, but build the exact correct structure for it right off the bat (it is MUCH harder to retrofit for a Michigan winter than you are thinking it will be - snowload!)

And I *do* like the first design quite a lot. I think it is better than the majority of northern coops on BYC. Put plastic on two or two-and-a-half sides of the run for winter and you will have HAPPY birds.

I would suggest rethinking that outside nestbox and outside feeder. The outside nestbox is 100% unnecessary and is just a gratuitous weak point in the design where predators and weather can get in. If you really want outside access to the nests all yo need to do is build normal wallmounted INDOOR nestboxes, with a sliding panel to access them from outside. A sliding panel is much more structurally strong, much more easily predatorproofed, much more easily weatherproofed, and incidentally much easier to build
wink.png
than protruding nestboxes. Those would only make sense in a very small short coop where nestboxes have to be floor-level, which is SO not the case in yours
smile.png

The outside feeder is going to be a major raccoon attractant and predator/weatherstripping challenge. Honestly I see zero point in making a hopper-style feeder on the outside of the coop -- the whole point is you only fill it occasionally, so you can perfectly well fill it from INSIDE the coop and avoid all those problems. If for some reason that I am utterly not comprehending you would want to fill it from outside the coop, at least make it like I described above for the nestboxes - an outside access hatch to an INSIDE hopper/feeder.

I hate to say it, though, but even with a roof water collection system and a big ol' feed hopper, you are NOT going to be able to go away and leave them for a week or two. First, roof water only works when a) it rains enough and also b) there are not broken/detached plumbing bits, poo in the drinking part of the waterer, etc. Much more importantly, you can't expect to leave hens alone for a week or two and not come back to a) all your hens healthy and safe and b) (this is the biggie) no egg-eaters. Eggs really really need to be collected daily, every other day at MOST. There is no way around this (I know, you are thinking "rollout nestboxes!" but they are not reliable enough and of course hens don't always lay IN the boxes anyhow).

So, remember that you will NEED to have someone come and check on the chickens every day or so when you are gone. It's just the way it is.

Good luck, have fun, I think that as long as you treat the bells-and-whistles as something to 'play with' and learn with instead of something you're pinning all your hopes on you will have a REALLY nice coop there,

Pat

Quote:
I'm going to have to dissagree with that. Although there is a certain degree of possibility that something "could" go wrong while you're away for a week or so, I think it's feasible, as long as you don't have a huge number of chickens. I built my coop with it in mind that I may not be able to tend to them every single day.(pics on my page). My feeder can sustain them for several weeks without having to lift a finger. I don't have a water system but my 3 gallon waterers last at least a week without having to refill. The egg collection could be an issue but with 6 nests in my coop for only a dozen chickens I don't think it would be a problem. I've actually gone several days without collecting and although there may be as many as 6 eggs in a nest they were just fine.
Although it would be my preference not to leave them for more than a few days I'm am more than confident they would be just fine in that eventuality. I really like the water collection system Old Crow designed and I'm thinking about doing something similar, not a main water source but as a supplement. We get some long droughts here in Va. so i definitely could not depend on it. I'm 48 years old and have raised chickens since I was 6 and although I don't claim to be an expert by any means I've got enough experience to know something about raising them. I think it's fine if folks can tend daily but for some it may not be feasible and I believe you can improvise your coop to accomodate your schedule. Just my 2 cents.
wink.png

Quote:
Yah, but there is a great big difference between "I've gone several days a few times and nothing bad happened" versus your odds of coming back after a week or two and not having egg-eating going on.

The problem being, egg-eating is often basically incurable, other than stewpot-and-start-over.

Yes, it might not happen, but it DOES happen to a lot of people under those circumstances, and the consequences are pretty significant.

Likewise it may not happen that during a week or two of absence the waterer leaks or becomes otherwise unusable, or a chicken is injured, or a predator starts to chew/dig/pry its way into the coop... but, if you look at what happens to people, it not infrequently DOES happen, and the consequences again can be dire.

A long absence is not the same as sometimes skipping a day or two.

JMHO,

Pat

Well a long absence would definitely be negligent. I've never had an instance of egg eating so I can't really reply to that. I just can't concur that an "everyday" level of attention is an absolute. Personally I'd never leave my chickens for more than a couple of days without being checked on but I'd like to feel somewhat at ease that the odds are in their favor should some emergency occur and they're left unattended for longer than that. I currently have 37 chickens and for the past year (knock on wood) everything has been peachy. I have left them over a weekend without being tended to a couple of times and the first thing I did when I got home was check out my ladies to make sure they were ok. I think it's great if someone had the abiltiy to give them daily attention, right now I can since I was laid off last spring but the day is coming when I'll be working again, possible long hours and my wife works long hours as well, and I'll have to make sure the chickens are able to fend for themselves til I can get to them. I just don't want anyone new to chickens to become discouraged because they think theyre going to require constant attention. They're actually very easy to raise and only require about 10 minutes of my day. I'm not trying to argue just stating my own experience. I think people living in different regions have to do different things and there's a wide variety of ideas.

Barred and Pat you both make very valid points ......

Water Collection -

Barred .... I'm still working on the true components for the water feed .... I was hoping to convert like you said a standard 3 gal water container and interconnect it to the system and have a total capacity of 10 to 15 Gal ..... I figure this will require a float valve.

But I haven't ruled out the nipple type water dispensers .... Have to do more home work
I just found these and they have a lot of promise .... small compact less potential for contamination could manifold a few in ...... http://www.strombergschickens.com/images/founts/adcup_adbrk_l.jpg
http://www.strombergschickens.com/images/founts/edstrom_diagram_for_web_L.gif

Looks
like VA averages 3 " of rain per month min ..... This is calculated with a cubic inch .....so that being said a 8' x 8' roof surface ... has 9216 SQ inches of surface .... 9216 SQ x 3" = 27,648 cubic In min rain fall per month------ > nets you potential of 119 Gals per month Min

http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/virginia/

My min is closer to 2 but think ya get the #'s are amazing when ya wrap your head around them.

So I think its more about sizing the cistern properly for consumption and assuring your cistern over flow and run off is properly controlled ..... and for me a bigger concern is to drain before the freeze cycle ...and limit the amount of water to maintain above freezing.

Time duration -

Pat I live in close proximity to family like 4 houses ... the total lack of observation is not really the point ... nor was 2 weeks ever mentioned other then by you .. I'm not looking for or expecting a set it and forget it coop but it would be nice to plan ahead and make it as easily operated as possible.

Feeder location -

I will do some soul searching on the feeder location .... I tried to place it under the brooder/storage box for a couple of thoughts ..... Keep the birds from flying over and around the food and water sources to reduce the contamination ..... and of course optimize space but good points on the need to access readily that's what the large volume is for
wink.png
and agree ads additional complication to weather and critter tight it .....

Nesting Boxes -

The external boxes were again for space and it will make for ease of collection.

The Bird allocation may not be so heavily swung in the side of layers as the nest box may indicate for my personal needs but will allow for it if chosen ......

Last edited:
Quote:
If you look at the #'s above most would have substantial run off above usage ..... this could be easily saved by catching the primary cistern run off and using it for any additional purpose ... cleaning, garden ....ect.

There is nothing wrong with making a coop that requires minimal frequency of refilling things. My only point is that for various reasons this does not reduce the frequency with which chickens need to be CHECKED ON (thus, going away for a week is really pretty dicey).

If you want something 'set and forget' I would suggest getting a LOT of input on auto watering systems, because all of them are prone to periodic a) plugging up and not working or b) leaking and flooding your coop and also, potentially, not working. It is worth soliciting as much input as possible on all the options, from people who are actually using them, to try to make an educated guess on what will go kerflooey the least often or in the least-serious ways. (It is usually a tradeoff between those two, btw - frequency vs magnitude of problems).

BTW, external nestboxes do NOT increase space in a walk-in coop; you weren't losing space to them in the first place, the chickens can walk around just fine on the ground below conventional indoor nestboxes. And of course you can have an external access *hatch* to conventional boxes.

Same with the feeder.

Just trying to steer you away from things that seem very sensible until you have chickens and then you discover different
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

In the original design, you have an introduction box
Can you show where that was, how big, etc?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom