New to Chickens working on a coop design ...please give advise...

Old Crow

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Well as the title says I'm new to chickens never owed even one before ......

I am looking to build and prepare a coop for a spring flock .... Mind you I live in Michigan and this will be a home for next winter as well

Been doing some reading and studying a bit and this is where I am so far please advise .....
smile.png

Front ..View ..(Door removed for viewing ) this will be 8'x8' with an 8'x8' run the front will be 8' and the rear 6'

Side with nesting Box

Rear

Run End

Features ......

External Feed Box

Water Collection and supply

Baby / Introduction Box

Roost and catch board

Last edited:
Everything looks fine to me should be a lovely coop.

I am though questioning your rain water collection and dispenser - are you planning on filtering that water? Maybe I'm wrong but if a wild bird poops on the roof, I don't think I'd want my chickens to drink that contaminated water.

Quote:
Good point .... Not sure didn't consider it ..... that's why im here asking the experts ...
big_smile.png

Thank you
OC

You could have the water runoff feed a small garden - our coop/run has a small salad garden growing next to it, tasty treats for the girls that they can reach through the fence and enough salad for the humans!

Where did you create that design?

First of all
welcome-byc.gif
, glad to have you, it's a fun site for learning

Plans look good to me, I do have a question to the food storage, will it be lined ? I was thinking if it is wood won't moisture mold the feed? and the other would be locks on feed storage and laying box, I'm sure you already thought of that.

Very nice design! You might want to incorporate this kind of a feeder:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=206562

I especially like the one that you load from the outside (scroll down on the above link for that picture). I know my next "reincarnation" will include this. You can also search the forum "feeders using pvc pipe" for more ideas. For your waterer, I would suggest something that is elevated (bricks?), secured to avoid tipping, and again, something you can fill from outside.

Quote:
It is possible to line it with flashing type material ..... I'm not looking for it to be the primary storage area but I would like to know I can go away for a week if need be and all be well ....

Brings me to a few good question .....

What is the average feed intake per bird on say a weekly basis .... for the average size layers ?
Water consumption per Bird .... per week ?

Quote:
Great Idea but unfortunately my wife's pasture mowers will not allow for that .....
big_smile.png
...2 Pigmys and a sheep .... uggghhhhh

Good luck being gone for a week, I'm gone for two days and my birds and I are nervous wrecks, even with "Aunt Kathy" looking in on them. Feed: I free range all 8 during the day, but they can go in and out of the run at will. For 8, about 3-4 pounds a week, doesn't include what they catch or find in the yard, scratch or daily treats of oatmeal, salad or rice, with yogurt. Water, hard to say, in the summer I could hardly keep up, especially iced water. Refilled their 3 gallon waterer every two or three days. And I know they drank water from the dogs' water dish, too.

Back
Top Bottom