New to chickens

Deleon98

Songster
Dec 26, 2015
Florida
Im going to buy two chicks tomorrow. A coop was bought today from walmart (do you think its good enough for just two?). I would appreciate any tips and important ininformation. Ik i have to buy a heating lamp for them and im actually kind of worried cause i dont know a lot about them and i dont want to do something wrong. I just finished researching chicken illnesses
1f62d.png

Welcome to our community - glad that you have joined us and good luck with your new chickens.

Ct

Welcome! You're going to find chickens are an absorbing hobby, and if you aren't careful, you'll end up with a couple of very fine pets.

Before you waste money on a heating lamp, read this thread: Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder. It's on this forum.

If your coop has ten square feet, it will be large enough for two hens, maybe three. You will need an additional thirty square feet in a run outdoors for the chicks as they grow. They will need outdoor time after a few weeks to flex their wings and little legs.

Reading up on all the chicken diseases can scare the wits out of a new chicken keeper. With proper care, most chickens will stay healthy and you won't need to worry about disease. But learning the behavior of your chicks and what's normal will alert you should one take sick. Their behavior will suddenly change. So will their poop. Learn to "read poop" and you will be able to see many early warning signs of illness in time to treat it.

It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile, by clicking on "My Profile" in the upper right corner of the page, and we can better advise if we know what region you live in.

Ok thank you i already bought a heating lamp but i feel confident today. I didnt get to buy them yet cause rural king ran out
1f602.png
but i did buy starter feed and watering container. Hopefully i get them soon though. rhabks for the feedback! Ive decided on names already tootoo: Pepe and Pepper
2764.png

Back
Top Bottom