New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Athens2016, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Athens2016

Athens2016 New Egg

Jan 9, 2016
    Hi, I have 3 young Barred Rock hens, they are wonderful. I have plans for many more in the very near future.[​IMG] I am looking for new coop plans tonight.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you checked out the above "Coops" section?" Lots of styles, sizes, some with detailed descriptions - pretty much something for everyone.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It's sounds like you are really enjoying your chicken adventures!! It's only natural to want to add more to your flock, I'm afraid it happens to us all. The coop section as drumstick said is a great place for lots ideas on building ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC..

How fancy or unfancy a coop are you looking to build? Whats your climate like?

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    As you say you are already planning on many more birds I would definitely suggest that you build for what you will have, not what you do have - take the maximum number you *think* you might want, add a few more, and then use that for your building plan. The coops section mentioned above is a great place to start getting some ideas - and from there you can tweak it to what you want. The "needs" of the birds are pretty basic - enough space and a well-ventilated, draft free area in which to be sheltered from the elements of the climate you live in - - from there all the bells and whistles really boil down to personal preference and what is most convenient for the flock keeper. ......
    If you have an idea of the breed(s) you want to add, remember to factor that into your plans as some breeds will have different needs when it comes to coop design.

6. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and :welcome
    We are glad you joined us!
    Do you like gardening? If so I have the perfect and I mean perfect coop for you! If my flock was smaller I'd have this coop myself! You can make this coop too. I saved a picture of it here it is.

[​IMG]

It has an herb garden on top, and egg box on the side, and it is big enough for 4-7 hens. You can make it yourself so you can change stuff about it you don't like or to add something on to it you want.

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Glad to hear you are enjoying your birds! Before you add more, there's an excellent article in the Learning Center that you may want to check out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Don't skip the step of isolating new chickens from your existing flock before trying to integrate them!

It's nice to have you here!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by