New to chickens

Yes, my chicks are off heat also and they have most of the it feathers. I saw that temps were forecastst for 46 degrees, should I run a heater for temps in the forties?

I'm talking about nighttime temps of course

If your coop is draft free, they should be fine but, if it makes you feel more comfortable, you can always provide them heat in one area. They can get warm by it if they need to or can choose to sleep where it isn't. You can then slowly phase it out. Check on them a time or two the first night and see how they're handling it.

If your coop is draft free, they should be fine but, if it makes you feel more comfortable, you can always provide them heat in one area. They can get warm by it if they need to or can choose to sleep where it isn't. You can then slowly phase it out. Check on them a time or two the first night and see how they're handling it.

I think I'll wait another week, my coop is very secure, but I think I'll wait til they are fully feathered. I'm just a little nervous about putting them outside. I will put in the heater in one corner. Thank you for your reply, appreciate it.

I don't blame you in the least! You do what makes you feel the most comfortable! They're your babies!! I've got 12 that can easily go out right now, 6 that should probably stay in another week or 2 and 12 that most definitely have a while to go before they're introduced to the coop. It's gunna be a long couple of months! :lol:

Hi and welcome to BYC. It may be an idea to begin to acclimatise your chicks to the outdoor temps by putting them out for increasing durations as the days progress before putting them out in the coop on a full time basis.

Here are some links to useful resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom