New to chickens

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I would put them out now and not wait. They will be much happier in the coop and run. Provide a mild heat source only at night. You can give them a huddle box to sleep in as well. Basically a box on it's side with bedding in it. They will pile in it and their own body heat will keep them warm.
I brooded in my coop with a brooder plate and had below freezing temperatures at night. This picture was taken when the temperature was 23F. As you can see, they are not fully feathered and were still running around and eating.
IMG_20190503_164821496.jpg

If your winters are that mild, they will not need supplemental heat. They need draft free and dry and they should be fine.

I've always wanted to have chickens, but never had the time until now. I love on the Oregon coast my husband and I own a commercial fishing boat. I have had many pets over the years. I currently have 3 dogs, four cats and a sub conure. I finally got My coop built and am waiting for my chicks to get big enough to go to the coop. From what I understand they should be completely feathered before they move to the coop. It is almost fall, they are five weeks old. Should I wait a month before putting them in the coop? We have very mild winters, it rarely freezes here but I do have a coop heater. At what temperature would i need to set it up? My chicken breeds are all bantam: cochin, brahma and dominique. I understand that victim and brahma are cold hearty but what about the dominics? I'm just getting started at this so I look forward to learning to learning from the experienced.
:frow

Back
Top Bottom