New to chickens

Kld1989

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
I've always wanted to have chickens, but never had the time until now. I love on the Oregon coast my husband and I own a commercial fishing boat. I have had many pets over the years. I currently have 3 dogs, four cats and a sub conure. I finally got My coop built and am waiting for my chicks to get big enough to go to the coop. From what I understand they should be completely feathered before they move to the coop. It is almost fall, they are five weeks old. Should I wait a month before putting them in the coop? We have very mild winters, it rarely freezes here but I do have a coop heater. At what temperature would i need to set it up? My chicken breeds are all bantam: cochin, brahma and dominique. I understand that victim and brahma are cold hearty but what about the dominics? I'm just getting started at this so I look forward to learning to learning from the experienced.

I've always wanted to have chickens, but never had the time until now. I love on the Oregon coast my husband and I own a commercial fishing boat. I have had many pets over the years. I currently have 3 dogs, four cats and a sub conure. I finally got My coop built and am waiting for my chicks to get big enough to go to the coop. From what I understand they should be completely feathered before they move to the coop. It is almost fall, they are five weeks old. Should I wait a month before putting them in the coop? We have very mild winters, it rarely freezes here but I do have a coop heater. At what temperature would i need to set it up? My chicken breeds are all bantam: cochin, brahma and dominique. I understand that victim and brahma are cold hearty but what about the dominics? I'm just getting started at this so I look forward to learning to learning from the experienced.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! Oregon coast, hm? Whereabouts? We just recently moved to Lakeside, which is very close to Coos Bay and Reedsport, but we won't have our chickens until next spring.

:jumpy:welcome:jumpy
Welcome to the flock!! Happy you're here! Depending on what your temps are like and the efficacy of your predator proofing, your chicks can be outside now. It's suggested to wait until they're 6-8 weeks old but as long as they have adequate protection and heating (if needed) they're fine! My oldest are 5-6 weeks old but could easily be outside in the coop. We did things backwards and are putting the roof on our coop this weekend instead of it being ready before we jumped at Chick Days. :th My oldest are completely off of any added heat and the heat index outside has been anywhere from 89-117 lately with overnight temps still being in the 80's.

:jumpy:welcome:jumpy
Welcome to the flock!! Happy you're here! Depending on what your temps are like and the efficacy of your predator proofing, your chicks can be outside now. It's suggested to wait until they're 6-8 weeks old but as long as they have adequate protection and heating (if needed) they're fine! My oldest are 5-6 weeks old but could easily be outside in the coop. We did things backwards and are putting the roof on our coop this weekend instead of it being ready before we jumped at Chick Days. :th My oldest are completely off of any added heat and the heat index outside has been anywhere from 89-117 lately with overnight temps still being in the 80's.
Yes, my chicks are off heat also and they have most of the it feathers. I saw that temps were forecastst for 46 degrees, should I run a heater for temps in the forties?

Back
Top Bottom