New to Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC. A new bird in any flock is picked on - Guinea fowl can be especially bad. The 'protection' aspect of most roosters is limited to a warning and a quick run for cover. The only roosters that I have known to fight a raptor are game fowl.
He is consider a game fowl bird, Liege breed. He's big.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You don't yet have a rooster. You have a cockerel.
He needs to integrate into the flock and earn the respect of the girls before he can assert himself.
Had he ever tid-bitted or predator alerted in his first home? Not all cockerels/roosters are good at these things. And he will not really be able to protect the flock from anything. He just tries to keep a look out and give a warning call to give the flock a chance to get to cover. If you've had losses to a hawk, you need to lock your birds up in a secure run for a few days until the hawk moves on.
He is only 6 months old and his pea comb isn't even red yet so that makes sense hes not yet a rooster. He's a Liege breed which I was told are good at fighting off the hawks? I'm not certain but I wanted a bigger rooster that would fight it off. Right now he hides behind me when the girls come his direction. He's also very clumsy I believe because of his big feet.

Also, when we lost chicken and guinea to hawk we did lock them up for 2 days but the attacks were a month apart.

Welcome :frow
Your rooster is the new kid in the flock. There is always an integration period where the pecking order gets reestablished. Hopefully he will find his place soon and everyone will settle into a routine again. Just keep an eye on him that he is not bullied too much to cause damage.
He roosts with them at night but as soon as I let them out for the day he gets picked on. I understand there is a pecking order to be established but wondering how long that will take. He hides behind me or runs off when the girls or guineas come his direction he doesn't even try to peck them back. Or is that not what they do back?

Back
Top Bottom