New to chickens

Akachicklil

Songster
Dec 6, 2021
South Florida.
82EE8A57-AFC1-4913-BDDE-F6B2667D5DE9.jpeg
Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris. I’m a new member to BYC.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, I am very new to chickens and have lots of learning to do, which is why I joined this forum. I live in South Florida. My grandmother used to have backyard chickens. She would let me play with them when I was little and I have very fond memories. I live in her home now. My first chicken came to me on her own about almost 2 in a half weeks ago. She came into my shed house and randomly laid one egg. Then each day she would keep laying eggs. After that I made a nesting box for her and she has been with me ever since. I just recently built her a chicken coop and run. She is very tame. I have lots of learning to do. My goal is to be able to raise her as a back yard pet chicken and for eggs. I have not seen any other chickens recently or roosters. I could go on but I’ll save my questions for the forums.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

1 very tame chicken.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I believe she is a Bantam chicken. I was told she is a Kikiriki Chicken. I looked up what that meant. As per my google searches a Kikiriki is a Bantam chicken or the word used for Bantam in Spanish.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love animals in general. I’m new and only have one chicken which I recently acquired so time will tell what my favorite thing is about raising her. Thus far I love caring for her a spending time with her ( petting and holding her). I love the idea of learning about raising a chicken as a pet and for eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Traveling to Europe and experiencing new cultures. Watching history films, movies and television.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m a nurse practitioner. My spouse is also a nurse practitioner for acute care patients. I work in oncology. We enjoy spending time together. We love animals. They are Gods creatures that provide unconditional love. I have two dogs and two cats. My parents have 5 dogs, two cats and two parrots.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I’m new to chickens. So when I acquired this chicken I had no idea what to do and or what to expect. A good old google search lead me to BYC. After I decided to keep her and building her coop and run I decided to officially join. I really hope to find the answers I need here. Thanks for having me.

Attachments

• AFA3C34F-2EF0-427D-8ECB-7E414536ACA0.jpeg
    AFA3C34F-2EF0-427D-8ECB-7E414536ACA0.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 5EB0738B-8DC0-4E3D-BC19-B405C3E2AC47.jpeg
    5EB0738B-8DC0-4E3D-BC19-B405C3E2AC47.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hello, Chris, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I suggest you return that prefab coop and buy something larger or better yet convert a small shed into a coop. You're going to want to get more chickens for your lone hen so that she can have a flock. Research open air coops in the coop articles section of this site.

View attachment 2920163Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris. I’m a new member to BYC.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, I am very new to chickens and have lots of learning to do, which is why I joined this forum. I live in South Florida. My grandmother used to have backyard chickens. She would let me play with them when I was little and I have very fond memories. I live in her home now. My first chicken came to me on her own about almost 2 in a half weeks ago. She came into my shed house and randomly laid one egg. Then each day she would keep laying eggs. After that I made a nesting box for her and she has been with me ever since. I just recently built her a chicken coop and run. She is very tame. I have lots of learning to do. My goal is to be able to raise her as a back yard pet chicken and for eggs. I have not seen any other chickens recently or roosters. I could go on but I’ll save my questions for the forums.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

1 very tame chicken.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I believe she is a Bantam chicken. I was told she is a Kikiriki Chicken. I looked up what that meant. As per my google searches a Kikiriki is a Bantam chicken or the word used for Bantam in Spanish.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love animals in general. I’m new and only have one chicken which I recently acquired so time will tell what my favorite thing is about raising her. Thus far I love caring for her a spending time with her ( petting and holding her). I love the idea of learning about raising a chicken as a pet and for eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Traveling to Europe and experiencing new cultures. Watching history films, movies and television.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m a nurse practitioner. My spouse and I are very close with my parents and family. My spouse is also a nurse practitioner for acute care patients. I work in oncology. We enjoy spending time together. I love animals. They are Gods creatures that provide unconditional love. I have two dogs and two cats. My parents have 5 dogs, two cats and two parrots.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I’m new to chickens. So when I acquired this chicken I had no idea what to do and or what to expect. A good old google search lead me to BYC. After I decided to keep her and building her coop and run I decided to officially join. I really hope to find the answers I need here. Thanks for having me.
First if all…. :welcome
Second, she is beautiful! I do hope you enjoy your time here!

Hello, Chris, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I suggest you return that prefab coop and buy something larger or better yet convert a small shed into a coop. You're going to want to get more chickens for your lone hen so that she can have a flock. Research open air coops in the coop articles section of this site.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom