New to chickens!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Definitely take full advantage of evaporative cooling effects out here in the southwest. On hot days in a shaded run, I wet the floor down and turn on a turbo fan. The evaporation of the water cools the floor and air. Chickens will line right up in front of this giant fan, feathers blowing, and they all are cool.

Make yourself at home here and ask as many questions as needed. Welcome aboard!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chickens (but did spend summers and holidays at my grandparents' farm growing up and they had chickens, geese, ducks, rabbits, goats, etc.). My 16 year old son and I are just in the research process right now, learning all the things!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None

(3) What breeds do you have? NA (but looking at heat tolerant breeds)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Fresh eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening (veggie and cactus), crafting (I make tumblers, badge reels, decals, etc with my cricut)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a mom of three (1 girl and 2 boys), wife of 20 years, and a NICU RN. My husband is allergic to dander (so no cats and dogs for us) and really isn't an animal lover. My 16-year-old son is also allergic but loves animals. We have 2 sulcata tortoises, 6 parakeets, 3 ball pythons, and a few rats (who were too cute to feed to our snakes!) Our newest venture is chickens!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :DI have been doing a lot of research, and one of my google searches led me here! We live in a very hot climate, so we are trying to learn about the best breeds and best way to build our chicken coop (at this time, we have decided to build a long chicken run on the side of my house, away from the afternoon sun). So, we are trying to figure out exactly how to get the space enclosed (house is stucco and fence beside my neighbor is a cinder block wall).
Hello, welcome to BYC. If you need any advice, reach out! I’m also new but I’m about 4 months in. Take care 👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom