New To Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by itsy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hello!

I am new to the forums and new to chickens. I live on a horse farm in New Jersey and we plan on expanding our animal base this year. I have quite a few pets: dogs, cats, rabbit, parakeets, quite a few lizards and fish. I purchased the Chicken Tractor book and plan on making one when it gets a little warmer.

I went to get chicks today, but they were all sold out so we'll have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime - I purchased bedding (some sort of pellet that is compressed, but expands when wet), the food container and water container. I already have a heat lamp and digital thermometer (I breed Crested Geckos and already had those items on hand). I plan on putting the chicks in a 20g long fish tank (with screen top) for about a month until they get larger. I think we're going to start with 6.

I've been reading around the forum for more tips and answers to my questions.....there's SO MUCH information!!! [​IMG]

If we start with 6 chicks and raise them together... how easy is it to introduce more birds later? I think we're going to start with a combo of Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, and Buff Orpintons. Our intention is not to sell eggs but eat them ourselves.

How's all that sound so far??

We're also researching adding goats to the farm....Possibly meat goats like Boers. We shall see. It's going to be an interesting year.

Nice to meet all of you and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

--Belle--

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan You'll find the answer to every question you could ever have about chickens and answers to a few you wouldn't even think to ask! Have fun!

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG] from Virginia!

Looks like you have quite the menagerie going on there! How cool!

You will definitely find lots of help here on the forum.
    I am also building my own coop and got a copy of Building Chicken Coops For Dummies to help.
    For me, it's working cuz I'm not one of those handy persons.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470598964

We're also thinking about getting mini cows and possibly some goats. So it'll be nice to read more about your set up and how you manage.

WELCOME, again, and GOOD LUCK!!!!!

[​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Fireflyjunction

Fireflyjunction In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    KC area
    [​IMG] from KS! [​IMG]