1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maryannkent, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Maryannkent

Maryannkent Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I live in Washington state and want large brown eggs from my chicken what type should I get

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] If you want egg laying machines, go with Black or Red Sex-Links. Rhode Island Reds produce nice amounts of eggs too.

1 person likes this.
  3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi Maryannkent and welcome to BYC! If you want a brown egg layer you are going to want birds that come from the APA (American Poultry Association) American and or English class. These include birds such as Rhode Island reds and Whites, Plymouth Rocks, Sussex, Orpingtons, Australorps, Wyandottes, Delaware's, and New Hampshires are some of the common ones I find in feed stores commonly. But those are only the purebreds, they cross certain birds together to get birds that lay more often such as sex-links and others. Most birds lay according to their color of earlobe such as red. White earlobed birds tend to lay white eggs. There is no nutritional difference between brown and white eggs since all eggs start out white and get pigmentation later in the laying process.

Good luck on finding your birds, where do you plan on purchasing chicks?

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I would definitely look into barred rocks, black australorps and buff orpingtons. All lay large brown eggs very often. They are curious, hardy and docile chickens.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 for egg numbers alone, the Red Sex Links (Golden Comet, Red Stars, ISA Browns etc) and Black Sex Links (Black Stars) for brown eggs are probably the most popular layers around. Production Reds or hatchery Rhode Island Reds are another good choice for layers. If you want breeds that don't lay quite as well but will lay for a longer time, Australorps, Orpingtons (lots of people really like these, great pets though broody), Plymouth Rocks, Sussex, Delaware and Wyandottes are some other popular brown egg breeds that are usually pretty easy to get along with.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

You've received some good advice already! There are many good egg layers of large brown eggs to choose from.[​IMG]

10. Maryannkent

Maryannkent Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Thank you all for all your help. My husdand whats geunies hens are they ok with checkens and what if anything do we need to do different to house these we will be having 6 chickens and 2 geunies hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by