new to chickens

Thank you all for all your help. My husdand whats geunies hens are they ok with checkens and what if anything do we need to do different to house these we will be having 6 chickens and 2 geunies hen

Welcome to BYC!
So, your husband is wanting to have some guinea hens? Many folks here keep guineas - some with chickens. I would suggest taking a wander through this section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about guinea fowl and then some :)

Thank you all for your help but now i have a different question how do you get 4 week old chick to go in to there coop at night. We have food and w as ter inside and outside but they will not go in at night. They have no problem getting out in the morning but will not go in at night help

Thank you all for your help but now i have a different question how do you get 4 week old chick to go in to there coop at night. We have food and w as ter inside and outside but they will not go in at night. They have no problem getting out in the morning but will not go in at night help

This is a common issue encountered when birds are first moved out to the coop from a brooder situation. There are a couple of things you can try depending on your particular setup. You can call them in from within the coop (easiest if you have a walk-in coop) using treats to sweeten the deal (it helps to teach them to come when called by associating a noise, such as a shaker bottle, with distributing treats) or you can move them in from outside either by "herding" them in or by picking them up and physically placing them inside the coop at roosting time. The latter, of course, requires a setup that has a human accessible run. Once they are inside, close the pop door and leave them for the night. After a few nights of this new routine they will start to catch on that dusk = time to go inside.

We have tryed this for about a week with no luck
I agree with Ol Grey Mare. Patience and repetition. Chickens aren't all that intelligent, but they're not dumb (if that makes sense). They do learn and figure things out. Just keep it up, and I'll bet you'll soon find them sitting comfortably on their roosts.
smile.png

I have had the same problem. They were taken .. by my arms, to the coop at night, Until they finally got it. I just put them on the roost when they were old enough. I have two others right now that I have to go out and put on a roost, because they want to roost over the nest box, with they little fuzzy butts right over the nest box. Messy in the morning in the box if I don't move them. Oh what we do for our chickens. :)

Back
Top Bottom