New to chicks, but I'm gonna learn!

Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

G’Day from down under dancesCchicks :frow Welcome and Congratulations on your new home!

I loved Dances with Wolves and have watched in many times :clap

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. This one in particular may be of interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Dogs and chickens

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

WELCOME TO BYC!!! :welcome
You're gonna have a lot of fun in BYC, and taking care of your flock! You will learn a lot about chickens here. :thumbsup

I do think you should buy your flock first, then get a puppy. That way, your puppy will have known the chickens since it came to your place. :clap

What dog breed would you want to buy? I like Australian Shepherds and German Shepherds if you are gonna have a flock, because they are usually to protect you, your animals, and they are found on farms a lot. :lol:
What kind of chickens are you gonna buy? I would like to see pictures of them!! :D My favorites are Cubalayas, what are yours?

You're gonna have fun here!!! Have a good day!:woot

WELCOME TO BYC!!! :welcome
You're gonna have a lot of fun in BYC, and taking care of your flock! You will learn a lot about chickens here. :thumbsup

I do think you should buy your flock first, then get a puppy. That way, your puppy will have known the chickens since it came to your place. :clap

What dog breed would you want to buy? I like Australian Shepherds and German Shepherds if you are gonna have a flock, because they are usually to protect you, your animals, and they are found on farms a lot. :lol:
What kind of chickens are you gonna buy? I would like to see pictures of them!! :D My favorites are Cubalayas, what are yours?

You're gonna have fun here!!! Have a good day!:woot
Hi HeyHeyWW! I have so much to learn that I don't even have a favorite chicken yet. I really like the idea of Easter Eggs, though! Thank you for the input about the puppy. I like German Shepherd crosses, and have considered a poodle, too. I will certainly post pics when I bring my chicks home. And I'll have to look up info on Cubalayas! Would love to see pics of them. What do you like about them?

You're gonna have a lot of fun. Chickens are addictive. Suggested reading:

Mother heating pad brooding. You can brood your chicks right in the coop! No need to deal with the dander in your home, and no need to ever deal with the risk of a heat lamp. Heating pad brooding is much safer and more natural for the chicks.

Henderson's chicken breeds chart.

Deep litter management in coop and run.

Finally, I suggest that you build your coop, and make it a walk in style. Also make sure that it's big enough for your starter flock as well as any possible additions. Minimum recommendation for a back yard flock is 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. Avoid the pre fab coops which are falsely advertised, poorly built, poorly designed for the needs of the bird OR the owner.

Hi all you educators! I've never had chickens, but I'm good with larger animals. I have a new-to-me house (1/4 acre with large old wooden shed, little greenhouse and good privacy fence) in a neighborhood in a western Texas town, and do not have any animals right now. I do want to have a larger breed dog eventually, but am thinking perhaps to start my flock before getting a puppy, so the pup can learn to be "part of the flock"? What do you all think of that idea? I work weekdays in healthcare, very regular hours. Can't wait to learn from you all!
:welcome Howdy from a fellow Texan. Central Texas is my home. You are right it gets hot here but the chickens can do just fine as long as you give them Shade. If you ever have any questions on breeds or whatever just ask and any one of us will help you out. Being a Texan it would be my honor to assist where I can.:bun

Back
Top Bottom