New to DE. Anyone use it on for their dogs....... any advice please??

jacyjones

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Aberystwyth, Wales
I have just bought DE to use for the chickens both in their food and in the shed, dust baths etc. I have read on the website that you can put a little in your dog's coat to kill fleas, ticks etc. Do any of you do this? I am worried about them inhaling it when they groom themselves. Is that something to worry about? or is it safe to use like this?
Any advice would be great, thanks!

cat, dogs, pigs, lambs, goat... they all get it in their food, about a tsp for cat, tbsp each of the dogs and a great big shot for the hooved critters ! It gets sprinkled on their bedding in their huts including the geese/turkey hut, coop and meatie huts.

Flea season is generally on right now and I haven't seen unusual itching...
hide.gif

D/E isn't absorbed into the bloodstream, instead passing right through the gastrointestinal system and coming out in the poo. It also doesn't work if it's wet, considering the fact that it only works by piercing and dessicating bugs.. Exoskeletal bugs, at that, of which there are precisely zero in the internal parasite world..

Sooo...if it doesn't work when wet, nor against non-exoskeletal critters, and it doesn't "poison" bugs by absorption into the host animal's bloodstream...pretty sure we can go ahead and assume that it's not going to kill any parasites at all when mixed with an animal's food and ingested.

They're just going to poop it right out.

My advice would be that if you're going to use it, use it externally...but, yeah, I would think there's definitely an inhalation risk.

Thanks guys, I don't think my dogs will be having any on their coats - I am not prepared to take the risk. It sounds really good for the chickens though and lots of people on here seem to use it.

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

We
did lots of research into DE... and it is controlling our flea population on our animals... we do not dust them, it is in their food..... the Co-op feed store also mixes it in their various feeds and swear by it. Like anything else, you'll get lots of opinions but it works for our previously flea ridden crittersw.
wink.png

Exerpts

Perma-Guard, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Perma-Guard Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is totally organic and safe. It contains less than 1% percent of Crystal & Silicon. Some of the uses for Diatomaceous Earth include; household pets, gardens, flower beds, field crops, grain storage, and livestock feeding. Diatomaceous Earth is Mother Nature's product with no harm to the environment, pets or to people. Diatomaceous Earth is not an earth, it is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical action, not chemical, by puncturing the insect’s exoskeleton and absorbing its body fluids, thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. Moreover, on any surface, these natural pesticide products have a remarkable repellency factor. As long as it is present, insects tend to stay away, making a serious infestation unlikely. Also, the more it is used, the more an environment is created that tends to make insects feel unwelcome.

Pets:
Our best friends come in all shapes and sizes. Protect them with Diatomaceous Earth. When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have. When using as a de-wormer mix the Diatomaceous Earth into your pets food. Mix well into kibble and wet food. Ask your vet how much for your size pet.
Cats – 1 teaspoon/day
Kittens – ½ teaspoon/ day
Dogs – 100lbs+ -2 tablespoons/ day
50 – 100 lbs – 1 tablespoon/ day
under 50lbs – 2 teaspoons/ day
Minidogs – 1 teaspoon/ day

Livestock:All livestock, Horses, Cows, Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, Chickens and others will benefit from the use of Diatomaceous Earth. It is completely safe and nontoxic. Some of the benefits are; Control of fleas and ticks, stimulates basic metabolism, converts feed better, reduces odor and moisture in barns and stalls, results in better coat and hoof condition, keeps fly larvae from developing in manure, noticeably reducing the fly population, reduces annual vet bills, controls worms and internal parasites without chemicals, better egg production, stronger eggs, and reduces overall animal stress. Diatomaceous Earth can be mixed right in with the animals feed. Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day, Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day, For Chickens and other livestock you need to weight the feed and add 2% of that weight in Diatomaceous Earth. Your livestock will also get the benefit of over 14 trace minerals that make up Diatomaceous Earth.

Last edited:
Quote:
True. But if that's true..........

Quote:
....how can this possibly be true also?

What they're saying is that it kills by puncturing exoskeletal insects and absorbs their body fluids, YET, it also manages to work somehow on non-exoskeletal nematodes in the wet environment of the gastrointestinal tract of almost any animal..

WOW! That's AMAZING!

No, wait...amazing's not the word...what's the word I'm looking for?

Oh yeah...WOW! That's HORSEPUCKEY!

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Sorry...I can't resist sometimes..
hide.gif

Seriously, though, I'd also point out that they go to some length to explain how it works against exoskeletal insects, but offer zero explanation as to how it could possibly work against internal parasites.. They even say it will kill "any worms or parasites"... Really? What about heartworms? What about lungworms or meningeal worms in goats? What about liver flukes?

It's simply not possible that DE will kill those, because DE will never come into contact with those.. Well, unless of course they're claiming that DE is absorbed through the intestinal wall and circulates in the blood...which it doesn't.

Anyway.. I know it ruffles feathers to question the mystical properties of DE, but if anyone can explain to me how DE could possibly kill ANY internal parasite despite the fact that A) it's completely illogical and B) every study I've ever seen has concluded that DE is ineffective as an anthelmintic....I'll hush. I promise.

That's all it takes to shut me up.
smile.png

I think that DE sucks... i would never use it and expect it to totally rid my animals of fleas..
Just my opinion..

Last edited:
I was not looking for a pissing match to ensue... so this will be my last post as disrespectful comments do not work well for me.

Everyone has and opinion, I can only contribute what seems works for my animals; that I can stand by... my dogs, cat, paraket, pigs, lambs, goat, chickens, geese, turkeys and meaties all "appear" to be flea free...

OP do a search on this "how does Diatomaceous Earth work" and do some research... only you can determine what works for you.

Best wishes in your quest for knowledge.

Shelley

Back
Top Bottom