New to ducklings.

kissedbyfire

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
We have raised many chickens and have absolutely spoiled them. When we went to rural king I couldn't resist the little ducks. I've been feeding them check feed but I want to start feeding them more vegetation. What kind of flowers, herbs, and veggies do they like/perfer? One of the ducklings absolutely love me and will chirp when I walk in the room until I pick her up. But the other will run from me unless I'm holding the other. Any tips at all will be helpful.

There is a thread called the unltimate list of duck treats. It has all the greens they can eat. Also, is the food you are feeding them medicated or unmedicated? It is best to feed ducklings unmedicted feed. And is their waterer deep enough for them to be able to dunk their whole head under? They need to be able to do this in order to clean out their nares and eyesz

Thank you. It's medicated but I've only let them eat a small amount so the won't over medicate themselves since the dosage is for chicks. Yes they have a little tub that is deep enough to drink and swim in ( but shallow enough they can get safely in and out of themselves). In the water is it good to put the electrolytes used for baby chicks? I've been putting a small amount.

We have raised many chickens and have absolutely spoiled them. When we went to rural king I couldn't resist the little ducks. I've been feeding them check feed but I want to start feeding them more vegetation. What kind of flowers, herbs, and veggies do they like/perfer? One of the ducklings absolutely love me and will chirp when I walk in the room until I pick her up. But the other will run from me unless I'm holding the other. Any tips at all will be helpful.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
It is recommended not to give medicated chick feed to ducklings. Ducklings should be fed 24/7 for the first 2 or so weeks. They must have water to eat and also to dip their heads into so they can wash their nostrils out. If you are feeding them anything other than chick starter be sure to give them some grit.

Check the medication, if it is amprolium you are fine. They will not OD on it, frankly I would be concerned about not feeding them enough from your description. Because ducks have such a different growth curve than chickens, it's a myth that they will OD because they eat more than a chick of the same body mass.

Clint

It is amprolium. So I can feed them more of that? I haven't been under feeding them they have had meal worms and oats and bran flakes mixed with them.

What if I start feeding them vegetation along with the click starter?
Hello and :welcome   It is recommended not to give medicated chick feed to ducklings.  Ducklings should be fed 24/7 for the first 2 or so weeks.  They must have water to eat and also to dip their heads into so they can wash their nostrils out.  If you are feeding them anything other than chick starter be sure to give them some grit.

It is amprolium. So I can feed them more of that? I haven't been under feeding them they have had meal worms and oats and bran flakes mixed with them.

With that diet you have probably reduced the protein and changed the amino acid ratios unless you are feeding a lot of mealworms. That may have detrimental effects on growth, adding vegetation will make the problems worse. Also, you probably need to add niacin.

Clint

Niacin? What is that and where can I get it? Okay so what would be a good diet for the ducklings? Feeding them only check starter doesn't seem to healthy

Back
Top Bottom