** New to ducks** How old is old enough?

RogerIsMyDuck

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Hello,
I'm 16 and brand new to the duck world. My father recently brought me home a special gift of two ducklings, one (mine) is named Roger :) I've had the ducks for about a month or so and they seem to almost be full sized ducks and are feathering out nicely. My question is how old is old enough for ducks to go outside? I've raised chickens from chicks, but ducks are totally different. I would love any and all pointers about ducks and their care.
RogerIsMyDuck

Is that Roger on your avatar? Oh, my goodness what a cutie pie!

I find that there are so many variables, and I sometimes assume that everyone lives in a similar climate and has the same breed of ducks I do!

So, now that I confessed that, may I ask the breed of duck, what your daytime and nighttime temperatures are, if going outside means staying outside overnight, or supervised or unsupervised? You are probably fine to take him outside on nice (65 - 75 F) days, for a while, supervised or in a predator-proof enclosure with food and water.

It's about 50 here during the day on a good day... about 30 to 20 at night. They are feathering out nicely, they have tail feathers, chest and a good amount of wing feathers. And yes that is Roger, when he was a baby lol he's allot older now. He's a Pekin duck, and it would be outside with some chickens during the day, and in a coop at night, unsupervised most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom