New to ducks, need help with everything. PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Anarchy82, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Anarchy82

Anarchy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Stroudsburg, PA
    My friends that I get my chcikens from unfortunetly lost their male duck. (most likely to a predator) They have their animals free roam, and the male never came home. They have 7 fertile duck eggs from before he went M.I.A., so they are currently incubating them. They asked if I would want the ducks. All they are looking for is a male. They have enough females, so any that are female I would be getting.

I knew I wanted to get ducks, but I was going to incubate eggs in the spring. Giving me time this winter to learn about them more.

I need a crash corse on housing, and shelter, etc...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I started reading about them. But in a way I am looking for the cliff notes since I don't have much time. They should be hatching in 24days.

Help Please. [​IMG]

2. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Your best bet is to divide your research on the boards amongst food and shelter. Read the stickies. You have 24 days to absorb all you can.

3. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    And of course post your specific questions. There is so much knowledge are here!

4. Anarchy82

Aug 10, 2011
    Stroudsburg, PA
    I'm just started my first time incubating eggs, and I am still going with that. I don't know if there is enough room in my brain anymore. lol

I guess that is what I am going to have to do. I just don't even know where to start. My head be spining.

5. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Anything new is overwhelming for sure! Try this book, it's great... Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks: Breeds, Care, Health (Paperback)
    Dave Holderread

6. Anarchy82

Aug 10, 2011
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Quote:Thank you, like I said. Any help is welcomed at this point in time.

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    If you want you can ask me anything I will answer them. If you want pm me if not oh well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by