1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to ducks...need some help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickencity, Apr 8, 2009.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    i just got 4 ducks from tsc. i thought that it wouldn't have been much different from raising chicks. but for some reason they just keep crying. they have food water and a heat lamp. but they just keep on. i have them on a mesh floor b/c i thought it would be cleaner for them but should i but them on soild floor with shavings..would that help them calm down?

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, for my baby ducklings, I just used paper towel on the bottom. You will need to clean it often, but I had a duckling almost choke on the shavings. They will eat the paper towel too, but its easier to swallow. Good Luck!

3. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    ok thanks. ill try that. one of my ducklings has an afro...do you think it will stay like that once it gets his/her feathers?

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Do you know the breed? It might be a crested duck.

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:HAHAHAHAHA.. you bought a crested duck and no it will only get bigger HAHAHAHAHA

Okay... my ducks I have on wire over a rubbermaid type tub. I have water, food and heat. They may be too warm if they are loud, or you may have gotten all girls....

6. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    i thought it was a peking duck that just had a fro'. i guess they got an assortment of ducks. they usually just have mallards, peking, and kakhis. but i got another duck that looked different from all the rest. its lightbrown with yellow wings, pink and brown stripped bill and pink and brown feet. i just went in there and watched them for a bit, changed the floor. they got quite and started playing in the water and eating. i just left and now ones crying agian. so girl ducks make more noise?

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I started out with newspaper and paper towels. I know they say not to use newspaper, but it was brief, and also easy to clean up!

8. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    they'er pretty quite today. guess they just take longer to settle in than chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by