New to Emu Keeping...Help!

Wow, so glad I came across this thread! I came very close to buying an Emu chick this past Saturday at a swap meet. I didn't realise they needed so much room. We live on 5 acres, but only have about 1000 sq. ft fenced for our goats, chickens and pigs (the pigs have their own area). Guess we'll have to discuss fencing the back pasture if we want to have Emus-----or maybe we should just fence the whole property! Glad to have read this before getting Emu.

Wow, so glad I came across this thread! I came very close to buying an Emu chick this past Saturday at a swap meet. I didn't realise they needed so much room. We live on 5 acres, but only have about 1000 sq. ft fenced for our goats, chickens and pigs (the pigs have their own area). Guess we'll have to discuss fencing the back pasture if we want to have Emus-----or maybe we should just fence the whole property! Glad to have read this before getting Emu.

Speaking from experience, pay someone to do the fencing. Just finished fencing in 3.5 acres - my hands are still hurting.

I hear ya.... I just finished fencing in five acres.....ugh......five more acres to go.
hmm.png
. Why didn't I do this during winter........

Because bugs and sweat and dehydration are all part of the "fun" - or if you are like me that's just when your finances lined up.
Never again will I do that much. it took me Months! (Lots of clearing, many braces to build, etc. I didnt take any time off from work either)

Because bugs and sweat and dehydration are all part of the "fun" - or if you are like me that's just when your finances lined up.
Never again will I do that much. it took me Months!  (Lots of clearing, many braces to build, etc. I didnt take any time off from work either)

Yep, that's when finances lined up. Lol No way it was the bugs....i have bites as big as quarters! Plus i must be insane to do anything around the emu....they see your tool bucket and raid it...plus they have to eat every bit of new post hole dirt and stand ontop of you thru the whole process.... Lol

Back
Top Bottom