New to EVERYTHING about chickens!

Lanegrove

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
Hi my name is Lanie. I live in beautiful Yukon, OK with my boyfriend and our two lovely dogs. We recently moved out here onto a 1.75 acre plot. We have decided to have our own backyard chickens and recently built our coop from the ground up! We do not have any chickens yet- as we are in the process of building our run. I have my heart set on a couple of breeds that i believe may suit our environment. I have tired to do as much research as I can. But, I believe hearing it from experience is best! I am open to any comments or criticisms in what i post. Thanks for the welcome!

I was thinking Buff Orphingtons & Wyandottes. I've read that they're rather quiet, decent egg layers, and cold / heat tolerant. Is that true?
Ive had BO's and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE and highly recommend them! Excellent temperament, especially if they will be pets and especially if you want to keep a roo. Black Australorps are like the aussie version of Orpington as they originate from the black orpingtons (which is just another color of orpington, there are many colors!)
good luck choosing! Chickens are the best:jumpy

Also- Welcome to BYC, were so happy to have you! Hope you enjoy the site as much as we do!

:welcome:wee:wee

instawelcome.jpg

Just be sure you build your coop big enough to accommodate current and future additions. Minimum space recommendations are 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. More is better. Ventilation = to 10% of floor space, or 1 s.f./bird. Perch space 1 l.f./bird, at least 12 - 15" away from back wall, 18" below ceiling, with at least 4 feet of open space in front of perch. I strongly recommend a walk in style coop.

Back
Top Bottom