New to Forum and am keeping "illegal" chickens

LOL, I love the parrot thing!!! I don't know what to tell you, since it seems you've already accepted the fact that it's your own fault your in this situation by breaking the law you already knew about. I guess it'd be different if you got the chickens without knowing about the law. You may try to get your ordinance changed. In a town of only 300 so people it might be pretty easy.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer! Invite them over for a beer when you get your new c.c. camera, and show it off! (Don't tell them where you plan on putting it though.)

Why wait for them to do something to your birds? If they know you have a camera, then they won't even bother trying..... hopefully.

We're getting ready to put up a fence too... it's a shame people are such slobs that their neighbors have to put up a fence to block the view.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Privacy fence.

We are "legal" but barely. I refuse to pay $100.00 for the permit to keep poultry. I mean really? $100?? The permit for horses is $10. And I am not calling city hall to ask if it is a typo. I am sooo not drawing attention to myself.
At this point I think I am going to keep them inside the house as long as and as much as possible.

What do you get for a $100??? Taxation without Representation...wont pay? I dont blame you!​

Does anyone here actually use a henspa? It just seems so small to me, even for one bird, nevermind 5 Black Australorps. My little banties run around like lunatics chasing bugs and flapping their wings. They would be miserable in a garbage can coop.

Quote:
What do you get for a $100??? Taxation without Representation...wont pay? I dont blame you!

I think it is that high to deter people from getting chickens in the first place. If I get caught I will pay it to keep them. But I seriously think that $100 for 6 chickens is more than a bit high. Especially since I never see my tax dollars going to ANYTHING good here. **We no longer have a library because the city has mismanaged funds so badly. And the last city assessor was skimming money, nearly 10grand. City only found out after he had died They found it in his locked desk. Oh and they just laid off 6 police officers. Right now I think the city has WAY more issues than my keeping chickens for eggs**

Last edited:
Quote:
The whole point of the henspa or whatever it's called is to camouflage the fact that you have chickens. I would never put 5 hens in there, but possibly one or two would be ok. They're on grass, they're not on wire bottoms like the other links people posted. My thought was that it was a hilarious idea to disguise the chicken coop -- you could certainly make it bigger and still disguise it. That's kinda what folks are doing anyways when they paint their coop like an adorable little dollhouse since dollhouses are "acceptable" yard ornaments, but big ol' coops are not (in some areas). My 2 cents...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom