New to geese! Any Advice is appreciated!

Geese are very social and the more time you spend with them the better. Geese bond fairly easily to the people that spend time with them and it’s better to be on friendly terms with large birds than not.

Geese are full of character and they each have unique personalities, they are a joy to be around and are hilarious little beings that are always curious about what you’re doing.

Geese like to tinker with things, if they see you tinkering with something they’re more likely to want to mess with it because they saw you doing it and want in on the fun, this can be something to keep in mind if it’s something you don’t want them getting a hold of.

Geese are trainable to an extent, they aren’t as smart as parrots but they have excellent memory and will learn their names and a number of other words fairly quickly. They also do well with routines.

Breeding season makes them go a little crazy, they can be quick to anger and irrational once their hormones kick in, they can’t really help it. Fortunately it’s only temporary.

They’ll need a waterfowl of mixed flock formulated feed. They need more b vitamins and protein than chickens or they can end up with a host of health problems. Usually something that’s 20 to 22% protein. For large breeds you can actually just feed them Purina flock raiser or an all flock at every life stage.
Females do need more calcium in laying season, but I don’t advise layer feed because it’s usually formulated for chickens and if you have ganders it really isn’t that good for them. Oystershell or crushed eggshells are a better option to offer separately in my opinion.

Geese like lots of treats and it can help with training or just reminding them that you’re their best friend, however geese are individuals and don’t always like the same things, so it can be fun to expirament.
Sone things to try: cucumbers, lettuce, romain, cabbage, spinach, chard, carrots, pumpkin, apples, pears, peaches, plums, citrus, banana, papaya, carrots, parsnips, turnips, tomato, peas, corn, blueberries, blackberries, alfalfa, clover, and melons.

Also they need a lot more room than chickens do. Main reason I decided to wait on getting mine until I move
✅ 18 acres all ready for them.
Spend the extra $20 and get sexed pairs. What if you end up with 2 female Toulouse and 2 male Emden? They will pair up and if (when) you let them hatch you will end up with cross bred goslings. If you want to sell babies, they won't be as desirable.
Would you recommend a pair of each breed?

Geese are very social and the more time you spend with them the better. Geese bond fairly easily to the people that spend time with them and it’s better to be on friendly terms with large birds than not.

Geese are full of character and they each have unique personalities, they are a joy to be around and are hilarious little beings that are always curious about what you’re doing.

Geese like to tinker with things, if they see you tinkering with something they’re more likely to want to mess with it because they saw you doing it and want in on the fun, this can be something to keep in mind if it’s something you don’t want them getting a hold of.

Geese are trainable to an extent, they aren’t as smart as parrots but they have excellent memory and will learn their names and a number of other words fairly quickly. They also do well with routines.

Breeding season makes them go a little crazy, they can be quick to anger and irrational once their hormones kick in, they can’t really help it. Fortunately it’s only temporary.

They’ll need a waterfowl of mixed flock formulated feed. They need more b vitamins and protein than chickens or they can end up with a host of health problems. Usually something that’s 20 to 22% protein. For large breeds you can actually just feed them Purina flock raiser or an all flock at every life stage.
Females do need more calcium in laying season, but I don’t advise layer feed because it’s usually formulated for chickens and if you have ganders it really isn’t that good for them. Oystershell or crushed eggshells are a better option to offer separately in my opinion.

Geese like lots of treats and it can help with training or just reminding them that you’re their best friend, however geese are individuals and don’t always like the same things, so it can be fun to expirament.
Sone things to try: cucumbers, lettuce, romain, cabbage, spinach, chard, carrots, pumpkin, apples, pears, peaches, plums, citrus, banana, papaya, carrots, parsnips, turnips, tomato, peas, corn, blueberries, blackberries, alfalfa, clover, and melons.
Thanks this was very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom