new to guinea

shoetou

Songster
5 Years
Mar 13, 2015
do guineas need a big coop to stay in . and what about winter what should I do with them . I am starting off with 5 keets

Guineas don't like their coop to be small and dark. They want to be able to fly up to a perch that is several feet off the ground. So the height is as important as the size. If 5 guineas is all you will ever have you should have at least 25 square feet. (5' x 5') Bigger is ALWAYS better if you can manage it.
Train your guineas from the beginning to always be in their coop at night with the door shut. Otherwise they will look for trees or any other high place. And this leaves them very vulnerable to predators.
Guineas will do fine in winter if they are inside out of the wind and drafts. When it's below zero here I put a heat light over their water to keep it from freezing. But it will still be single digit temps in the henhouse. I've never lost one to the cold. They don't like snow so mine are usually confined inside during bad weather.
smile.png

where did you get your keets. I was trying to get some and they have like minimum order of 25 and that's too many for me

where did you get your keets. I was trying to get some and they have like minimum order of 25 and that's too many for me

There are places such as Country Hatchery who do have minimums that are lower. Country hatchery's minimum is 15 keets. The reason that most hatcheries require a 25 keet minimum is because of the keet'ss small size it requires more of them to provide enough heat to survive the trip.

http://www.countryhatchery.net/catalog.html

One option is to check around and try to find someone local who will split an order with you or just plan on putting the extras up for sale as soon as you receive them.

The best option is to find a local guinea raiser who can supply you with keets. One way to find the local people who raise guineas is to ask at the local feed stores.

Good luck.

I got mine at Lancaster fancy fowl they have a web site and there min. is 5 and there shipping to me was not bad 60$ for my keets and that was with shipping

Back
Top Bottom